Pellet delivery point height query

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frolingdual

Jul 27, 2015
Norfolk UK
Hi , I've just made my own pellet silo and the ideal place to put the filling pipe connection point would be 8 ft high. I've read the delivery company conditions and they state 5 ft max. It's a 4 inch pipe and I'm wondering if I tie a ladder next to it if it would be OK?

I know I can put bends and pipe etc to to reduce the height but it's quite difficult and wouldn't work as well.

If they say 5ft. max you mite get away with 6 ft.
It would be up to the guy delivering if he is going to climb
or not . But climbing I can't see it happening . Liability and all that BS
Just my 2 cents worth

Okay, I'm going to just say it and get it out of the way (because I'm in that sort of mood this morning). Max means Maximum. If the delivery company says 5 ft max, and they didn't put in "unless you have a ladder next to it", then you will need to be at 5 ft maximum. If, for some reason you think that they should make an exception for you, I submit that you call the delivery company and ask THEM, not us.

You could build a platform. Nice, spacious, easy steps. Something inviting. Of course, it'd be permanent.
Is this inside or outside? Maybe a platform outside or you could even make a ramp from dirt and plant grass on it.
If inside put the fill (and air discharge pipe) through the building sill plate to the outside. The more outside the better anyway because of the dust, I'd say.
I think around here, it might be three tons minimum as well. My 'silo' is 4x4x4 and holds only a ton.
Do you have a way to get in (and out, lol) ? How about filling it manually if you have to? Or cleaning?
With my 4' height I can get them up there and dump them in without a platform, but I was thinking of making a low platform before I actually loaded them by hand.
Plus, how about some pictures?!

Status
Not open for further replies.