Pellet insert vent leaks issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingteto

Mar 16, 2014
CT
I installed the vent to my pellet new insert starts with 3" adapter --> connected to ( 6" pipe) --> 90 elbow--> 45 elbow --> another 45 elbow --> 24" pipe to outside --> cap.

stove ran perfect but I noticed there is some smoke coming from the pipe vents (from the pipes itself ) the 90 elbow and 45 elbow.. coming from the side of the pipes..
I have no idea why this is happening .. I used 3" double pellet pipes as shows in the pics below and sealed all the joins between pipes.

I used hardwood pellets with this Mt. vernon ..

Any idea why this is happening? and how to fix it? is there special pipe I need to use?

photo 1.JPG

photo 1_1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Attachments

• photo 5_1.JPG
    photo 5_1.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 182
I installed the vent to my pellet new insert starts with 3" adapter --> connected to ( 6" pipe) --> 90 elbow--> 45 elbow --> another 45 elbow --> 24" pipe to outside --> cap.

stove ran perfect but I noticed there is some smoke coming from the pipe vents (from the pipes itself ) the 90 elbow and 45 elbow.. coming from the side of the pipes..
I have no idea why this is happening .. I used 3" double pellet pipes as shows in the pics below and sealed all the joins between pipes.

Any idea why this is happening? and how to fix it? is there special pipe I need to use?
Is it stove smoke from burning wood or residue from the pipes themselves ? If the later it should go away after a good hot burn. The first situation shouldn't be happening but Duravent does not have the tightest seal on the market either. If it is wood smoke that you smell what I would do is first check and make sure that none of the joints are cracked open at all. Then I would seal it all up with aluminum heat tape made for duct work and exhaust stacks. You just wrap the joints with it and any swivel points in the elbows as well...

View attachment 133291

View attachment 133292

View attachment 133293

View attachment 133294

View attachment 133295
Guess I didn't quote that message correctly ! Anyway, what I said is above.

Guess I didn't quote that message correctly ! Anyway, what I said is above.

The stove is brand new and the pipes as well .. Which pipes do you recommend to use with this pellet insert? since the smoke is coming from the pipe itself not from the connection/join between the pipes? Thanks

The stove is brand new and the pipes as well .. Which pipes do you recommend to use with this pellet insert? since the smoke is coming from the pipe itself not from the connection/join between the pipes? Thanks
It may just be residual oils burning off the pipe from handling, install, manufacturing. Does the house smell of wood smoke ? I would burn it off, a couple good hot fires should do it. Assuming its that of course.

It may just be residual oils burning off the pipe from handling, install, manufacturing. Does the house smell of wood smoke ? I would burn it off, a couple good hot fires should do it. Assuming its that of course.

Yes..It was wood burning smell and when I pointed a flash light into the pipes I saw smoke coming out of it which made me think it's leaking.

Yes..It was wood burning smell and when I pointed a flash light into the pipes I saw smoke coming out of it which made me think it's leaking.
Sounds like it. This is odd, I think at this point I would need to know more about you configuration and termination point etc. Maybe one of our more proficient installer folks can answer better than I can. Sometimes from my stove/pipe combo I can get a wiff of smoke at start up during auto ignition. But as soon as the fire establishes its gone. I just figure its my T cap which is not sealed with rtv so I can get it off ( also Duravent).

A couple of things I would question is it looks to me like the vent is going downward when it goes out Horizontal & you may need to hook outside air up to it as it may not be getting enough air which could be causing it to back up out of the vent pipes. What is the Minimum Vertical Vent in the Instruction Manual before you go Horizontal? Also a great point above is has it been burned for at least 2 to 4 hours to get rid of Manufacturing oils?

Reactions: kingteto
Try sealing the joints with high temp silicone- I think that will cure the problem. Not an uncommon issue especially with elbows. Thin coat on each seam will seal it.

Thank you guys for the comments .. It really helped .. I removed the 6 inch pipe so all pipes going upward now. I smell less smoke.. Now i see little smoke coming from the adapter pipe (1 pipe which is connected to the stove vent) .. can I put clamp to tight to the stove vent opening? I already put rtv but seems not enough , so is it safe to put that metal clamp they sell at homedepot ?

clamp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.