Pellet insert ?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
A friend of mine is looking into getting a pellet insert to help heat his house.
He has a chimney in excellent condition. How high does he need to go with the pipe?
I know that every appliance is different but does he have to go to the top?
Would he be better off going out the back of the fireplace?

Our pellet stove is a free standing but we went
to the top with the flex, then a ss cap secured to the top of the flue
with anchoring screws. I don't know if it's required,
but going all the way up and capping it correctly
seemed like the only right way to do it imo.

Babs I agree with Zeta why spend the money, then half ask the installation, and wonder why it preforms poorly?

3 or 4" stainless steel liner block off plate and termination cap and get it done.

the worst, least recommended way to install the stove, is a direct vent out the back without any verticle rise for natural draft should power go out.

I've done the installs both ways - DV out the back, and up through the chimney. It should be lined, but 3 and 4" is pretty reasonable....and my opinion is why ruin the fireplace structure? In other words, the chimney lining would be easier to convert back to a fireplace.

If he really wanted flexibility, maybe spring for a 5.5" or 6" flex, so a wood stove could be installed in the future. This should still make a fine liner for a 4" pellet appliance.

Thanks guys, actually Webs suggestion (full 6" liner) makes the most sense, though I'll have to call bottom with that part of the install.
Babalu dont do ladders.

Does the chimney have to be lined if it is in good enough shape? They have used it as a fireplace before. Maybe just a block off plate?
Even in the event of a power outage a pellet stove still needs electricity doesnt it?

Yes the pellet stove will require letric to run. Some stoves have a built in 12v plug others you can buy an inverter w/ a marine/deep cycle batt or you can buy a UPS for a computer off e-bay.

You would need to check codes in your area. A blockoff plate and a section of pipe *MIGHT* work but I would not recomend it. Your stove would perform much better with the full liner and it will be easier to clean also.

Status
Not open for further replies.