South Eastern PA
  2. joescho

joescho
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 11, 2009
    Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    Looks like the ad has been removed or something.

3. RCCARPS

RCCARPS
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2013
    Loc:
    South Eastern PA
  4. Bioburner

Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    Pellet mill for sale in MN as well. Just couldn't compete with mills in Wisconsin I guess.

5. SmokeEater

SmokeEater
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern NY
    It's my understanding that grass pellets are similar in Btu content to those of wood which is a plus only if the price is equivalent per Btu or better. I needs to be some better, because I understand that the grass pellet also produces significantly more ash due to the higher mineral content of the grasses vs trees. I think some stoves and boilers might have a more difficult time with the grass pellets due to that higher mineral content of the grass vs. the wood pellet. Does anyone know the price per ton and the ash content in percent by weight?

6. jtakeman

jtakeman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    In the grass thread imacman started a few seasons back(check page 4, where we started posting pic's of the ash results).

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/grass-pellets-on-cl-gasification-video-too.45829/

We found that Timothy grass pellets had over 3x the ash content of wood pellets. The mineral at fault is silica the grass pulls from the soil. Letting the grass sit(or season) does reduce the content, But its still much higher than a good ol' wood pellet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.