Pellet Mill near Oneonta, NY: Enviro Energy, LLC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
There is a fairly new pellet mill about 10 or 15 miles SW of Oneonta, NY, in the area of Wells Bridge called Enviro Energy, LLC. They make a softwood pellet, which is sometimes blended with a small amount of grass. They also make a grass pellet. I just wanted to make a post about them, since I haven't seen anyone mention them here, except for a brief mention of the website in the current "grass pellets on CL" thread.

I stopped by there the other day, and bought some bags of softwood pellets, and one bag of grass pellets. The softwood pellets burn great in my Breckwell P-23, better than the NEWP's I've been burning, and not quite as good as Barefoot. Despite smelling great like a newly mowed field, the grass pellets don't work well with my stove. I'll pick up more softwood pellets the next time I'm passing through. They seem like real nice folks, and its a family-run business. Current prices are $4.50/bag and $225/ton, for wood or grass pellets. They said they're also getting business from folks who keep horses, since the wood pellets are a little less expensive than stall shavings.

http://www.enviroenergyny.com/
(I'm not affiliated, associated with, etc etc).

I have a friend that bought some of the grass pellets from them and he said they burned dirty and did not give off much heat. At the same price as the wood pellets ($225/ton) why would anyone buy them over the traditional wood pellest ?

If you don't have a stove that's designed to burn them, you won't get good results. The only people on the forum that can burn the grass pellets with success have multi fuel stoves.

right.. folks with multi-fuel stoves. They didn't burn great in my stove either, but the wood pellets did OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.