Pellet question and moving air advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasnake65

Dec 18, 2012
Mich
Was looking at a add on Wood furnace but the cost is close to 10,000 For a PSG or Blase King with install, piping and such. Now maybe going to the Pellet stove route. What im looking at is putting it down in the basement and trying to move the air around to the second floor. The basement is a walkout and finished off so we can move down there during the winter months but still like to move some heat up to the main floor for the kitchen and bedroom. Put it on one end or in center near the stairs but not sure if I can vent it properly. So I can add some vents in the floor in certain spots with fans built in or run some duct work and move it that way? Like to here what others have done. Yes I should put it on the main level but the layout says no I cant
On the Pellet side, the local place we can get them has Summerset for $219 ton or Propellet for $199 as of today, dont know what the prebuy is though
Stove im look at is a Napoleon or a Enviro since I have a local contact

I have duct work plumbed to my stove and use my central air system to move the air through the house. Before I got the central air system, I had duct work with in-line duct fans near each vent, and that worked very well. With the in-line fans, I used a relay and wired each fan into it. When the stove was on, the fans would come on. I ran 8" duct from the stove to a trunk line that ran the length of the house. I ran 6" branches off to vents installed in each room. I used metal pipe from the stove, duct board for the trunk and flex duct to the vents. The flex ducts, with the in-line fans about 5' from the vents, helped to cut down on the noise the in-line fans make. Either way will help move the heat.

For the sake of safety, both the methods I mentioned would have the potential to spread a fire through your house if a fire reached the outside of your stove and was sucked into the duct.

How big is your house? What type of insulation?

What's the budget? What stoves (the model) are you looking at?

The M-55 Cast and Steel are nice (I love the Steel). And produce some good heat.

Personally, I would put the heat where you need it. Pellet stoves are space heaters and a basement install will. Likely leave you unhappy. :( Any stove is a space heater, it will heat a large area, but the less the air has to move, the better.

Have you looked into pellet furnaces? Fahrenheit is located in Michigan. A couple members here have one (me included). Good heaters and evenly heats the house through existing ductwork..

He is going to give me a quote for a St. Croix and another dealer Enviro plus a add on wood pellet furnace and add on wood stove. Still waiting for his quote but got another one for a add on wood furnace for 9000 for a Blase King. The guy from last said I could add another cold air return and open it up to the pellet stove area and use fan only on the furnace, then put in a cple of floor vents if I want to, might be a thought. Have to look into the Fahrenheit furnace, another option i see.

I have a question about my room blower, on an englander stove. The blower use to have a higher speed after about setting no. 7. Seems to not change now from the lower speed. Other than the blower, is there a reason it wouldn't increase the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.