1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellet Shelf Life

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Sophie, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophie

Sophie Member

Loc:
    NH
    We will be using a pellet stove and a wood stove this year. I think that the 4 tons of pellets we bought may last awhile because of the wood. Should be be concerned about the pellets degrading over a period of time? Is there a recommended shelf life?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. yoscratch

yoscratch New Member

Loc:
    western New York
    If you keep them dry they should last at least a couple years. the better covered and dry you keep them the longer they will last.
  3. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    What yoscratch said. Preferably store them inside
    a garage, porch, or basement if possible. If you
    have to keep them outside keep them on the pallets
    they arrive on, and cover them very well.

I just burned some that I had for 3 years in my garage
    and they were nice and dry with no problems.
  4. drizler

drizler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chazy, NY 12921
    Better kept inside like a cellar or garage. They don't take up much room and I manage to stack mine up around 6 feet high by stacking bags on top of the lower. Once up there they don't want to slide off, just stack em like they do at the factory. I would be a bit nervous leaving them tarped well here in the NE on an exposed porch or outside. The bags do have tiny holes in them so if you are exposing them to a lot of moisture over an extended period like a rainy Spring around here it could be a problem. I have done just that short term with no problems but would hesitate long term. Better to find an unused corner in your basement or garage if you can.
  5. Sophie

Sophie Member

Loc:
    NH
    We have them stored in the cellar. We do run a dehumidifier in the summer because we have a problem with dampness in the basement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.