Pellet Stove 55-SHP10 from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, I looked online at all 4 of the Lowes in my area. Still show the regular prices of $1300 and $1800. Last night I was in the area of a Lowes, and decided to see for myself in person. No Sale. Still the regular price. I asked the unusually helpful and knowledgable sales guy, an he said he had no idea, in years past it has been at the end of January. He gave me his card and told me to call him in the morning after he met with the managers, and he thought he could get me 10-15% off. I am not actually buying, I was just curious. I was surprised, however to see they had in stock several combustion blowers on the shelf.

THANK YOU!

I'm brand new to this forum and new to pellet stoves. I've got a detached 3 car garage that I end up spending a lot of time in (I call it the "Man Cave") and obviously it's pretty cold in there 4 + months of the year. I've been using torpedo heaters for a while, but they're messy, smelly, noisey and expensive.....bottom line, it was time for the switch to a wood/pellet stove!

After spending the last few weeks researching stoves, I knew I wanted one of Englander's (it helped that they're in Virginia). I've got a friend who's a sales manager for a local feed store and he quoted me $1,200 for the 55-SHP-10 this morning. Good price and about 15% below retail. I almost pulled the trigger.....BUT.....I decided to GOOGLE the item # and check one last time on-line to double check peoples opinions and prices.
This led me to Hearth.com and this thread!

I took off an hour early from work this afternoon and ran over to my local Lowe's to see what they had available. COOL! There was the unit I was looking for! Unfortunately, there was only one left and it was marked "SOLD". CRUD! I left disappointed, but remembered there was another Lowe's about 10 minutes away. I stopped by, ran in and "BINGO!"....they still had 2 units sitting there. Even better, they had the 50% OFF seasonal heating supplies signs posted everywhere. Regular price at this store was $1,250, so I ended up paying $625. They also had the pellet stove pipe kits 1/2 off (paid $99, instead of $198!).

SO.......a big THANK YOU to everyone here for the advice, candor and support! I look forward to installing my stove this weekend and spending some time here on the forum!

Well, I hate to rain on your parade, but I know in most states it is against code to have a solid fueled appliance in ATTACHED garages. Yours is detached, so I am not sure of the code restrictions, but if I were you, before you go ahead and install, I would look into it. Your homeowners insurance will likely be cancelled without a codeworthy install and a permit to go along with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I read through the Virginia Mechanical Code (Ch. 9 Fireplaces and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances) and didn't see a restriction on garages. The only reference I saw was that one couldn't draw air "from" the garage/confined space - which I obviously won't be doing.

I'll check into it further though and appreciate the input.

Just checked my local store in Battle Creek. They have one display left for $650. Wish I wasnt poor. But I live in Michigan so I guess thats just the norm.

No, we live in the United States, THATS the norm... :(

I have looked at online prices at a dozen stores. The 5 closest to me they are not on sale, some others are on sale. What gives. I have been checking online daily, and in the stove 2-3 times a week (i drive by on the way home from work). Some employees say usually around the 2-3rd week of feb, another employee i talked to today said they are going to start stocking them year round and won't be selling them.

So should i try to beat them at their own game? Have them price match another stores price?

Status
Not open for further replies.