Pellet stove Amp draw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Any heavy-duty extension cord will do, and it is possible to find short ones, these days. The shorter the connection between the device and the outlet, the better. I have my stove plugged into a regular computer surge protector, and it's fine. The manual says it draws 3.3 amps, and max power is 400 W. I'm looking into the best UPS to get, because we have fairly frequent power failures around here. (Everyone wants the power lines buried, until they find out how much it would cost, lol!)

I don't like to run anything for extended periods of time on an extension cord, just one more thing to go wrong. It is considered good practice to have a dedicated circuit to a heating/cooling appliance. Don't forget the surge protector.
For the few dollars it costs to get a new outlet installed I would certainly consider it.

Pellet stoves draw fairly low current. Your described outlet should be fine with a quality short cord and a good surge suppressor. A dedicated outlet would be preferable, and if you can get a qualified electrician to install a new one for a few bucks, by all means do so. For that price I would have him/her/it check for any other outlets or upgrades you might be in need of.