Pellet stove as a dehumidifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfpipe

Hearth Supporter
First bag of the season almost gone.
Why does a wood stove dehumidify a room and does a pellet stove also dehumidify a room.?
Has it got anything to do about whether combustion air is drawn from the outside or from the immediate vicinity of the stove?
Has to do with lowering the humidity to fix a mold issue and also I'm told low humidity helps get rid of any fleas the dog brought home.
Thanks
Bruce

Many of us have humidifiers we run when pellet stove gets turned on for the winter. If you use an OAK on the stove, the problem isn't as severe. Using indoor air for combustion should lower the humidity.

Put in a stove for heating and getting rid of high humidity in a garage without a OAK and worked great. Owner later setup a patio table etc to enjoy morning coffee by the stove in the winter.

RELATIVE humidity means that the amount of moisture air can hold is relative to temp. The warmer it is with the same amount of moisture in the air - RH drops.

Other factors are the fact that a pellet stove combustion fan forces air out of the house (if no oak is used) sucking in cold air that has little moisture. when that air is warmed its RH plummets.

Ventless gas stoves increase humidity as they expell H2O as a byproduct.

Last edited:
Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
In winter humidity can be very low, especially indoors. The Sahara is like 12% humidity, and indoors in the northeast a home can be as low as 6%.

I have a humidifier on hand to combat this at least in the early winter when everyone is dried out like beef jerky.

i put about 3 gallons of water in the air a day in my house! and that's to keep it at 55%!

Ventless gas stoves increase humidity as they expell H2O as a byproduct.
Ventless stoves are not legal for use in a residential home in Minnesota. Tighter homes, not enough O2 leading to CO problems and sometimes to much water vapor leading to mold etc.

I actually have a very humid house in the winter. The pellet stove (no oak) dries it out nicely
Unfortunately, at the same time, you're sending air (that you already paid to heat) up the exhaust. Better off having the OAK and a humidifier, IMO.

Unfortunately, at the same time, you're sending air (that you already paid to heat) up the exhaust. Better off having the OAK and a humidifier, IMO.

My house is HUMID. the whole point is to expell indoor damp air and suck in colds dry air. If I added an oak and a humidifier It would rain indoors LOL. My house is humid due to lack of turnover in air. approx 35% of ait should turnover p/hr in a healthy home. A dehumidifier is inefficient in winter months. Adding a Heat recovery ventilator is a expensive option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.