Pellet stove break in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyrichard

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2006
I have both a wood stove and a pellet stove. I am aware of the wood stove break in (to cure the paint), but was wondering if there was the same thing with a pellet stove.

I finally ran our pellet stove really for the first time today. There was an odd, kinda sweet smell, that vaguely reminded me of the smell from breaking in a wood burner, except that it seemed to mostly be coming out of the blower. Is this normal for a pellet stove. It is a Harmon XXV.

Thanks for the info,

you going to burn a little paint off here and there, nothing you can see, but yes,it smell a bit
for the first 3 or 4 runs.

Suposed to post pellet stove posts in the pellet bin room, so this thread might be moved.

If you get black window or clinkers in the fire pot, the cure is to open your primary outside combustion chamber air intake. More combustion air will give cleaner burning, less black window ,prevent formation of clinkers in fire pot.
Shut down cycle, to legthen shut down cycle, set room air circulation to lowest. The longer the heat exchanger stays hot, the longer the shut down cycle. A long shut doen cycle is important because it burns out any clinkers in the firepot & makes sure no popcorned pellets are still smoldering in the bottom of the pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.