Pellet stove Clinic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Well today I went to my stove shop where I purchased my stove to listen to some industry reps talk about cleaning the pellet stoves. They were techs for avalon and cumberland. They actually cleaned the same model stove I have which was really insightful. They were trying to sell the ash vacs mainly. I was shocked to see how much Per Ton cleaning is necessary. They took both motors out and showed how to clean as well as the rest of the important parts. It was nice to see how a professional cleans the stove. What troubles me is how obvious they make it look that without an ash vac it is impossible to clean. They were offering 10% the the $249.50 price tag of the vac. Its just hard to spend that kind of money when so many people have told me that a decent shop vac with a fine filtration filter will work fine provided there are no hot embers. Well all and all it was very interesting and the free lunch was pretty good to.

dhungy how often did they recommend taking out the motors to clean them?

smalltown said:
dhungy how often did they recommend taking out the motors to clean them?

IMO, take them out & clean them after every 1 - 1 1/2 tons. The convection blower maybe even more often if you have cats/dogs that have long hair &/or shed a lot. Pet hair does a number on the blower.

Cleaning your stove is important, but keep in mind they were trying to sell you the vacuum.
Mike -

Wouyldn't it be nice if more stove retailers offered that type of class occasionally? I know... It would cut into their profit if more people did their own cleanings, but wouldn't it prevent stoves from needing to be repaired more often and keep customers happy with their purchase?

Well, I would pay to take a class and learn how to take out the motors/fans and clean them, anyone out there with that expertise and want to hold a class?

Its amazing how many folks dont understand the fact that these stoves need more cleaning than just dumping the ash pan.

Recently I picked up a used Whitfield advantage II T off an ad on Craigs list.

Stove was cheap $200 but in good physical condition.

I flipped the switch and the motors run but hardly any air came out the exhaust pipe.

The fellow told me that the fire did not burn right. ??????? Yeah Buddy.

Got the little critter home and tore into its innards.

Removed about 3 pounds of crap from the rear mechanical compartment and then after removing the front ash trap covers and the fire brick I found the ash trap columns completely packed SOLID with old fly ash.

The stove literally was plugged to the point that it could not breath at all.

A half hour in front of the garage with a shop vac and the 100 PSI from the air compressor plus a good wipe doen inside and out, the little critter is all clean and ready to go again.

I usually do this manuever to clean the room air fan.

I take a caredboard box that will fit over the front air vents and cut a hole in it that will allow entry of the vacuum cleaner nozzle.

I tape the box over the vents with duct tape, insert the vacuum, turn on the room air fan and the vacuum then direct the air hose from my compressor into the squirrel cage of the fan.

The crud comes off the fan quickly and is sucked into the vacuum cleaner.

Do this once a season (usually after the season is over) and things work well.

I use the air method to clean the exhaust fan impeller too. Carefully run the long wand of my shop vac up the exhaust pipe being careful not to hit the blades (stove off and cold)

Once the stack is clean I turn on the draft fan and then blow air into the appropriate area of the stove to dislodge the collection of fly ash.

Low air pressure directed into the openiongs in the motors will clean out the dust, and as mentioned PET HAIR.

Amazing how much crud collects in our stoves.

A little off topic but makes an important point.

The dealers are there to sell a product and provide a service. Many dealers do a fabulous job but there are also so many that are simply there just to sell the product.

So many applicance like washers driers and other items that we use regularly in our homes are the source of more headaches than I care to think about.

I do all of my own maintenance and repirs, even on my vehicles. I do this because I can't afford to hire someone to come and do it plus I need it done RIGHT NOW usually.

Pellet stoves are pretty simple. I recommend buying the service manual with the stove.
This gives you all the tech stuff including but not limited to wiring schematics and mechanical data.

These are priceless on a Sunday night late when you want the stove to run and it wont.

Keeping a stock of spare parts like some spare fuses. a feed motor and possibly other stuff.

Generally the mechanical stuff like bearings and major hard parts last forever.

Feed motors, snap switches (high temp, low temp) and pressure switches can be a real easy fix in a hurry if you have one.

A control board is a big ticket item but once the stove gets some years on the clock the parts can get spendy and hard to find.

I am using stoves that I have had for over 15 years and keep a selection of spare parts in the cupboard.

During a nasty cold snap last winter I had the igniter on my Quadrafire fail. Real glad to have had a spare on the shelf.

My advice is to learn the workings of your stove, inside and out so that you can fix it when it quits.

They never quit when you dont need them ya know.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Its amazing how many folks dont understand the fact that these stoves need more cleaning than just dumping the ash pan...........Removed about 3 pounds of crap from the rear mechanical compartment and then after removing the front ash trap covers and the fire brick I found the ash trap columns completely packed SOLID with old fly ash.......The stove literally was plugged to the point that it could not breath at all........A half hour in front of the garage with a shop vac and the 100 PSI from the air compressor plus a good wipe doen inside and out, the little critter is all clean and ready to go again.

This is what a lot of people just don't seem to know about pellet stoves (and that most dealers won't tell them)....and I bet if you asked the owner if the stove was clean, I bet he would have said, "yes, it's perfectly clean", or words to that effect.

The first thing to do for anyone with a NEW anything is to read the booklet that comes with it.

The manufacture had some idea about how the thing is supposed to work.

Once you have digested the contents of the owners manual, your ready to venture along a little farther.

I use the manual as a good yard stick and then go from there. When it comes to Pellet stoves I am a real outlaw.

Spent today finishing up getting my new (to Me) Whitfield Advantage II T free standing unit all cleaned up.

Got all the wiring tied up neatly with zip ties and loom placed on the bundles where they contact sharp corners etc.

From this point I made a fuel spreader for the fire pot so the NUT SHELLS I burn will scatter over the fire and burn evenly.

A few hours sitting on the patio adjusting draft and the trimmer controls on the board and making notes and all is ready to go.

Lastely the little beast will get a fesh coat of either gray or black paint before being invited into the family room.

The dealers could put on a very comprehensive clinic with hands on how to and charge a modest fee to attend and not only add some $$$$$ KA-CHING to the register but also do their customers a very good service.

Some folks will not get their hands dirty no matter what but many will happily jump right in.

Here is a piccy of the Advantage II T happily consuming some nut shells.

Snowy

Attachments

• Advantage1.jpg
    Advantage1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 558
Ladderlieu said:
Wouyldn't it be nice if more stove retailers offered that type of class occasionally? I know... It would cut into their profit if more people did their own cleanings, but wouldn't it prevent stoves from needing to be repaired more often and keep customers happy with their purchase?

yes, it certainly would be nice. Although this is the opportunity to mention that there really is no excuse not to properly maintain the stove...."I dont do it because my dealer didnt teach me to" isnt a good excuse, IMHO

I wont get into specifics but we sell ash vacs in our shop for $200 or so including the pellet attachment. I'm sure you can find them online for 200 bucks or so. I use them for all our displays in the showroom. Sure, I can rig up a shop vac to do it, but I like to use the right tools for the job.

Franks said:
I wont get into specifics but we sell ash vacs in our shop for $200 or so including the pellet attachment. I'm sure you can find them online for 200 bucks or so. I use them for all our displays in the showroom. Sure, I can rig up a shop vac to do it, but I like to use the right tools for the job.

Easy to say when it only cost you what your dealer price is, plus you get to deduct it as a business expense. Your customers don't get either one of those advantages.

easier, still not easy. Money is money and I try to watch every dollar. I just feel it is a good tool for the job. Same reason I use a wrench set instead of a vice grips for everything at home. The way these ash vacs sell, I must not be the only one who feels it's "easy to say" . Everyone I sell to is told "you can probably get buy with a shop vac if you wanna try that route first before spending $200" Some do try. Some never come back, some do. No one has ever bought an ash vac and whined to me about it not being worth the money afterwards.

I use a small inexspensive shop vac and then have an additional hose to vent the air outlet through the window so I dont skunk up the house.

Have a small nozzle for the thing and it works sweet for the routine sucking tasks.

Normal cleanup around the stove (Not the inside) I do with the built in vaccum system in the house.

I make it a point to add a little water to the shop vac when doing stove cleaning as many times I have to do the clean outs on the fly.

During cold weather I shut the stove off and let the fire die and cool out til the Blowers shut off then go at the cleaning.
I manually clean the ash pan and sweep out this area with a brush.

Once the biggest source of ash and any HOT stuff is gone I then suck the thing out well.

Once the job is complete, I dump the vacuum out and make sure its empty before puting it away.

Happy cleaning

Snowy

What exactly will a $200 ash vac do that my junky looking 25 yr old shop vac (metal can) won`t?
Once the stove is cooled there are no hot embers. Both my stoves burn pellets thoroughly and completely to a dust like ash.

Pretty much how it is. The little old JUNKER extrordinair will suck just as good as a $200 tricked out stove cleaner :)

Snowy

I have been trying to get one of those for as long as I have been burning pellets. Just always something else to spend the money on. But I will get one someday. My little cheapo shop vac has lasted all these years without the slightest hiccups. I just get a new hepa every 3 years or so. Made my own tools for the 3 different stoves I have owned.

Maybe I will ask for one this fathers day?

Wonder if we can get shop vac to make one of these pellet vac's for use?

I really would like to see something a bit quieter too! Seems like there all way too loud(what?). Rough on these old ears!

Getting back to the clinic topic. I think most dealers cover some when the stove is installed. Stressing more cleaning sure couldn't hurt anyone. If a local dealer decided to hold a clinic. I would attend. You never know what you might pick up from it. Even if there was a few sales pitches tossed in. I still would attend. Bet they would have free doughnut's and goodies too! Get some pellet mills involved to hand out some free pellet samples and every Piggy in town would attend! Free doughnut's and pellets anyone?

I would gladly attend a clinic if there was one in my area. Maybe I'll suggest it to my installer/dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.