Pellet Stove efficiency rating article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relxn88

May 20, 2008
Ma.
I'm not interested in comparing stoves, just efficiency ratings info.
The part about pellet stove efficiency ratings was interesting to me. Lot a reading, but here's some of it. The stoves were, Enviro, Ravelli, Englander, Quad, Harman, Piazzetta.
( Found this online at:See: http://www.forgreenheat.org/decathlon/details.html)

"Our testing indicated that the six stoves had efficiencies within a fifteen-point spread
(Figure 4). Other testing and pellet stove test data sets show a wide range of efficiencies,
between 50 – 80%, with most falling between 60 and 75% using the EPA approved
efficiency calculation (CSA B415.1), and an average between 67 – 70%. These data sets
do not name the model and brand, but list the grams per hour and higher heating value
(HHV) efficiency scores.
Based on the fifteen point range shown by existing data sets and our testing, if a home
needed three tons of pellets, and spent $900, to heat with a 60% efficient stove, they
would need 2.4 tons with a 75% efficient stove. The savings would be 20%, or $180.
All the stoves burned least efficiently at their lowest heat output setting, and we often
found a 10-point efficiency difference between the low and high burn.
If a stove has an
average of 67% efficiency, it may run at 63% efficiency at its low level and 72% at its
highest level. Using your stove on the lowest heat setting can still save you pellets, but
you just won’t be getting as much heat out of each pellet as you get at medium or high
burn rates. If your stove is controlled by a thermostat, it may be best to use the medium or
high burn rates to achieve your desired room temperature, if the stove can be set to
operate that way.
Consumers will see many pellet stoves claiming efficiencies in the 80s,
whereas most of those stoves are more likely to be in the 60s or low 70s. Only a few
small pellet companies have been willing to release verified efficiencies to their
consumers and they are not among the ones we tested. The EPA has also dropped their
default efficiency of 78%".

if a home
needed three tons of pellets, and spent $900, to heat with a 60% efficient stove, they
would need 2.4 tons with a 75% efficient stove. The savings would be 20%, or $180.

One would have to calculate if this annual saving would offset the (most probably) higher cost of the more efficicient stove, over the life of said stove.

I think all the companies they tested were the best units available, but we all kinda know that when a company needs a certain efficiency claim to get what they are looking for in a test efficiency number, in a laboratory they find a way to achieve that number. It may not be during the same operation that Joe consumer uses the stove for, but for their testing purposes, they achieved and logged said figure that was being sought out.... Doesn't change the fact that stove manufacturers bend testing conditions to meet their desired outputs. Always been that way i'd think in my cynical manner..... These stoves are still the best we have available to us, no matter what the numbers say.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I think all the companies they tested were the best units available, but we all kinda know that when a company needs a certain efficiency claim to get what they are looking for in a test efficiency number, in a laboratory they find a way to achieve that number. It may not be during the same operation that Joe consumer uses the stove for, but for their testing purposes, they achieved and logged said figure that was being sought out.... Doesn't change the fact that stove manufacturers bend testing conditions to meet their desired outputs. Always been that way i'd think in my cynical manner..... These stoves are still the best we have available to us, no matter what the numbers say.
Good stuff there lark,the testing procedure wasn't that great,but did give a baseline for future tests,but,as you implied,not the real world.

Reactions: stovelark
Status
Not open for further replies.