Pellet Stove Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor S

Oct 31, 2007
I've been doing a lot of research into pellet stoves, and I find I'm getting more confused than anything. How much more efficient is a pellet stove compared to a traditional wood burning? I've heard differing opinons on this.

Also, what is the best/most efficient pellet stove for approx. 1,500 - 2,500 sq. feet?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Well, the second question is the easiest - there is no best stove! There are many various makes and models, with the usual differences in style and options. Many here would say the best pellet stove is the one from the best close dealer who can service it. Others (including myself) would say that companies who have been in business for awhile are more likely to have reliable products and more likely to be in business in the future.

But as far as #1, I think we can give general answers.

A modern wood stove purchased today can be expected to run at 68-70% in everyday use.
A modern pellet stove can run the gamut from 68% to as high as 83%- but I would say 75% is a good figure to use if you want to narrow it down.

Heating area depends on where you are located and the layout and insulation of the house. Woodstoves and pellet stoves are space heaters, and other than furnaces and boilers, are not designed for whole house heating needs. You might get lucky if your layout and insulation are good, but in general we like to think of either "recreational" use or for more serious type replacing 65-80% of the heating need.

An accurate answer is this - stoves do not heat houses - the fuel does! Meaning you will burn twice as much in pellets or wood to heat twice as much area. Another way of answering that question would be that 3 tons of pellets burned per season in various stoves would do the same job....whereas 4-5 tons in a higher BTU model would heat more.

So it depends on whether you need a Prius or a Dumptruck - one carries more, but uses more fuel.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a related question:

I already have a wood burning stove that burns nice and hot, has no cracks or warping and has a blower (I don't know the age, but it is a Harmon) . Do you think it is reasonable for me to move to a pellet stove for the increased efficiency, or am I better burning wood for the cheaper cost per BTU? My usage would be to supplement my boiler and reduce the amount it needs to run.

That depends on the cost of pellets...and how much your spending to fuel your boiler.

The Fuel calc on this website will help you with that if you plugin your fuel costs. You may not get your $$$ back on a pellet stove depending on what they are.

My results are Natural Gas is the most bang per buck....but since I live so far out of town it's not an option.

Wood is the next best option.....

But pellets are easier so that's what I go with. I'm currently not into splitting wood having done it for 20+ years. I may change back later...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

Wow, looks like I'm sticking with hardwood! Half the cost!

Thanks everyone!

One last thing... anyone know where I can get sawdust/pellet LOGS in the Philadelphia area?

If your current wood stove is working well and you don't mind the work involved then that is almost certainly the cheapest way to supplement your home heating. You must also realize that the pellet stove will set you back several thousand dollars and that the fuel is sometimes very expensive and sometimes just reasonably expensive but not cheap.

Professor S said:
Wow, looks like I'm sticking with hardwood! Half the cost!

Thanks everyone!

One last thing... anyone know where I can get sawdust/pellet LOGS in the Philadelphia area?

check with the folks at biobricks....
http://www.biopellet.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.