Pellet Stove Exhaust Pipe / Septic Clean out Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeG

Oct 10, 2012
Nazareth, PA
On the exterior side of the wall of where I plan to run my pellet stove exhaust pipe through, I have a 12" high septic clean out pipe that is capped. I would say that clean out pipe is approximately 6" away from the exterior side of the house. Where I plan to bore through the wall and install my exhaust pipe, it would be approximately 18" up and away form this clean out pipe. Are there any code regulations that any of you are aware of on how far away one needs to be from a septic clean out pipe with a pellet stove exhaust pipe? The reason I ask is I am almost 100% sure that some septic gasses (mainly methane) escape from that pipe (even though it is capped), and I don't know if there is a code for installing a pellet stove pipe in close proximity to this because of a possible spark or ember igniting these gasses. I do realize that 99.999% of the time a spark or ember will never make it to exterior side of the pipe on a pellet stove, but I didn't know if a code was ever put in place for the 0.0001% of the time it might or for people that don't take the proper steps to maintain their stoves and have a better chance of getting spark, embers, etc., travelling to the outside. I do know there are clearances to bushes, trees, vegetation, as well as other combustibles, but I wasn't sure if septic gasses coming out of a clean out pipe also applied.

With a proper threaded cap on that cleanout, it will not leak gasses. You can cut the 12" height down to grade, proper cap on it and I would consider it gastight.

Mine and many will throw a flickering ash every now and then but its not near the heat or as long lasting as a spark from a campfire or fireplace. I have about 10' of pipe on mine.

Yeh I think I have anything but a proper clean out cap. Mine isn't treaded, just sits on top the pipe with a single set screw on the side that you tighten down to keep the cap from falling off the pipe. The pipe and cap resemble a mushroom. So no threads, no seal, no anything. But since I posted this, the stove has been installed and the dealer/installer wasn't concerned at all with the septic clean out pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.