1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet stove forced air

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mopar man, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    I saw a video on youtube of a guy who not only was making his own pellets, but had his stove hooked into his existing heat runs for the house. Is anyone else doing this? I would assume you would have to have a booster fan so you would not over work the room blower motor. I might consider doing something like this with mine since I have it in the basement.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Isn't it just amazing what some people do?

Sometimes it includes things that they shouldn't do.

For example it is extremely likely that not only has that party incorrectly installed the stove (very few are certified for connection to duct work) and the fuel he made may not pass the standards for burning in his stove and cause premature failure of his vent system.

Believe or not some people even hook up third party devices to plumb pellet stoves into hot water heating systems.

Whatever you do, consider the downside as well as the upside.
    glenc0322, UMainah and CT Pellet like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Save your money and sister in a real pellet furnace to your present heating system with proper dampers(so you can use either or). By the time I did all my yadda yadda. Money was pretty close to what a Fahrenheit 50F or St Croix Revolution would have cost me.
  4. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    Just wanted to put this out there. I didn't know you could get a pellet fired furnace. I'm still waiting on a part to get mine running.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    And a pellet fired boiler.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Pellet furnace (Fahrenheit Endurance 50F) in the foreground and Wood stove (Engalnder 30-NC) in the.background.

Pellet furnaces are getting cheaper and can be had very cheap used. I got mine (with almost all needed materials) for $2,000 two yrs ago. Another member (343amc) got a Fahrenheit for $1,000!!! With all kinds of extras.

Its hard to find a good freestanding stove for $1,000. Let alone have most needed items for install!!

Save your money. Get a furnace or boiler.
    2012-12-10_20-00-47_521.jpg
  7. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    how fast does one of those go thru pellets. still has to be cheaper then fuel oil.
  8. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Dex just loves to show off his man cave!!;lol
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I run it on level 1 manual. About a bag every 24 hr.. :)

Thats not the man cave. The man cave is right behind where that pic was taken. This is the Man Cave ;)

2012-12-26_20-47-13_296.jpg
    Gary Gileau and fmsm like this.
  10. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    LOL Nice!! Number 3 and number 99 on the same wall? Wow, that's a different combination. You must like a little fiestiness in your drivers.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Nah... My Son collects them all. He is a HUGE NASCAR fan. Plus a guy I knew worked for a factory that made the Tin signs/license plates. So they were "Pretty Cheap".

Me. I'm a Kenseth guy myself :)

Back to the thread, furnaces have much larger distribution blower and dont need any inline assistance.
  12. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    How warm does that keep the house? A bag a day isn't bad at all.
  13. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    House, boy have you got a lot to learn about Dexter. His entire lot is a cold free area. He has multiple heaters running.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

LOL!! Yeah, I have several stoves (freestanding pellet upstairs/Fahrenheit pellet furnace in basement /Freestanding Wood stove in basement)

I only run one Pellet eater at a time.

But I always run the Woodstove. Getting the basement Super Hot makes the furnace more efficient. The furnace sucks the Hot air out of the basement and distributes it throughout the house.

But at a bag a day, its 70°-72°… But also a 3.5 cu ft firebox Burning like the Sun, about 15-20 ft away (The Wood stove :))

I like options. When its below 25°-30° the furnace gets used, above that and its the Quad upstairs
  15. SXIPro

SXIPro Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern MA
    How many lbs of pellets does a pellet furnace hold?
  16. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I can't speak for other models, but the Fahrenheit holds 112 pounds with the standard hopper and 250 pounds with the extended hopper. The guy I bought my Fahrenheit from purchased a PF100 and the hopper on that thing was huge.
  17. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    When Dexter has his heating untis running, I turn mine off here in MD Cause I can feel the heat!
    jtakeman and DexterDay like this.