Pellet Stove fresh air valve and placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanie

Dec 16, 2008
Melrose, MA
I purchased a pellet stove and was told by the stove store that it needs to be a certain distance from windows. The crew showed up for the install and told my husband he can place the stove close to windows with a fresh air valve. Is this true? Is it a good idea to put the stove in the back corner of our 2 story home with windows very close by on both sides? The other option in the room in more in the middle of the wall directly across from the door to the hall and further away from windows. The installers also told my husband that by getting the fresh air valve (no matter where the placement) that we would save $200 piping and it would look better. I am skeptical that something that costs less is actually better and why would the stove seller not mention this to me. Does anyone have any advice on the fresh air valve and placement? Thanks for your help. The installer is coming back on Friday 12/19 so I need to have a decision by then. Yikes.

Local codes may dictate the proximity of the stove exhaust to a window. I believe here in CA it states that the exhaust may not be closer than 4 feet either horizontally or below a window.

In theory, the fresh air intake might reduce the tendency of the stove to pull exhaust back in through a window that does not seal properly. I don't believe that installing an outside air intake has any effect on the code requirements for exhaust placement, though.

There are several dealers/installers that frequent this forum, perhaps one of them is familiar with the requirements in your area.

Melanie,
I'm in mass also. My town requires that the installation conform to the manufacturer's requirements as outlined in the documentation that comes with the stove. The "window" requirement is for your exhaust venting, and there are specific requirements that must be met.
If you have questions?...I'd take the word of the local fire dept/inspector over the word of the shop or the installer.

Jim

Lobstah said:
Melanie,
I'm in mass also. My town requires that the installation conform
to the manufacturer's requirements as outlined in the documentation
that comes with the stove.

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

Everything you need to know about this is in the manual for the stove.
If you do not have the manual yet you can either swing by your dealer
and ask for it, or download it in pdf format from the MFG's web site.
You didn't mention which stove you're purchasing otherwise I probably
would have saved you the trouble and posted the link.

What everyone said is right. You should be able to call your local code inspector (various official titles) and he will tell you what you can have done.

Eric

per nfpa211 which is the applicable code unless specified in the instalation manual, the exhaust vent cannot be closer than 4 ft below, or to either side of the window ,door or gravity opening (this being the end of it where the exhaust leaves the pipe) or it must extend at least 1 foot above the window, door or gravity opening. this does not apply to the intake , but only he exhaust.

Thanks Everyone, this has been very helpful!! I appreciate all the reponses :) I hope our stove keeps us warm this New England winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.