pellet stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fortuny

Oct 26, 2008
CANADA
Hello out there.
I have a question about hooking up a pellet stove in my basement to heat up my 1900sq house. I have currently a electric furnace heating the house and i would love to switch it for something that is more efficient in cost and environmentally friendly. If i put the pellet stove in the basement and hook it up to the ducking via air exchanger to the existing ducking that go's Thru the hole house is this going to work? help

fighting the cold said:
Hello out there.
I have a question about hooking up a pellet stove in my basement to heat up my 1900sq house. I have currently a electric furnace heating the house and i would love to switch it for something that is more efficient in cost and environmentally friendly. If i put the pellet stove in the basement and hook it up to the ducking via air exchanger to the existing ducking that go's Thru the hole house is this going to work? help
From what I can gather it will work to a degree but not anywhere as good as expected.
Pellet stove heat output compared to the output of a central heating system simply do not put out enough heat to overcome the heat loss of the duct system.
Maybe you should instead consider in this order:
1...a new gas furnace
2...an oil furnace
3....a pellet boiler
The current pellet supply and pricing really stinks . Plus the storage and handling of pellets that is necessary makes them a viable alternative only when they are available and considerably cheaper than $300 per ton and oil is not more than $3.00 per gallon.
Presently oil is falling and pellets and stoves are rising not to mention scarce.
Think long and hard before making a rash decision.

Please search older threads. This question gets asked weekly and I think the same people respond with the same answer.

Eric

Eric beat me to the punch but yeah, I think this one has
been asked/answered at least three times a week over
the past month so you may want to try browsing back through
the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.