Pellet stove in bedroom question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsflynn603

Jun 11, 2011
SW New Hampshire
I have a workshop in a town different from my house. I'm a craftsman and make jewelry there. It's composed of two rooms, one is 22 x 44, and there is an adjoining room that I use as a kitchen.

I don't live there but on occasion I'll spend the weekends there. I have oil fired hot air and want to put in a pellet stove which would handily heat the shop and maybe heat the adjoining "kitchen."

Imagine a sort of "loft" and you might imagine it. Since there is just me, I have a mattress down at one end that I use when I sleep over.

I hear that it is forbidden to place a pellet stove in a bedroom. Yet this, being a very large open concept space I wonder if the large size of the room might make it ok. After all a pellet stove in a 12x12 room is about 1/6th the space of my shop.

I imagine CO is the culprit but perhaps it's a fire hazard that forbids pellet stoves in bedrooms.

I could use the pellet stove during the day, and the oil-fired during the sleep over nights, or move my mattress into the 14x16' "kitchen" area. But if the door is open is there not still the same risk?

Could someone please enlighten me as to the why's and why-not's of this?

Thanks.

It would be a fire hazard and smoke/CO hazard.
In your situation i would go talk to the fire dept/building inspector of your town and see what they say.
Is this a residential building or a commercial property?

Not sure if you are using cleaners or glues that might create problems with fumes ... make sure if you get approval, you put in the OAK.

Talk with the local permitting officials... I sometimes fall asleep on the coach in the LR where the pellet stove is;) Smoke and CO detectors a must anyways. Make sure both are in place when he visits the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.