Pellet Stove in the furnace room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BURN2BURN

Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2008
Manotick, Ontario, Canada
hi folks, I moved from a high ranch home where I had the pellet stove in the basement, we spent most of our time in the basement and it was nice and warm, some heat moved upstairs but it was cooler, which was fine because we all prefer to sleep in cooler temps.

The new place is a classic bungalow with a oil furnace ! In order to limit the use of the oil furnace, my idea is to have the pellet stove run in the same room and just remove the filter cover of the furnace and run the fan only, to circulate the heat. Is this a fairly common practice?

any insight is appreciated.

You may try putting in a return by the pellet stove. Id probably move the pellet stove to an area you are going to be rather then the furnace room I think you would be much happier.

When I had a drafty, turn of the century (1906) house I kept the furnace blower running all the time in order to even out the temperature. If I didn't the drafts were unbearable. What you are proposing is pretty much the same thing. The furnace will be pumping warm air into the extremities of the house and will pull cooler air from wherever the return is.
If your furnace blower has a pulley system, you might want to play with the blower speed until you find a comfortable compromise between vent speed (noise and induced drafts) and temperature uniformity.
I wouldn't pull the filter, just make sure that there is a return inlet near the pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.