Pellet Stove Install Help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lce

Jan 6, 2018
California
Hi,
I just got a pellet stove I'm trying to install and have never done this before so please go easy on me if my questions aren't the greatest.

I'm running the exhaust vent up and out of an existing chimney. The total length is somewhere around 15 to 18 feet or so.

I will be running 1 foot of double wall 3 inch pipe horizontal into the opening connecting to either a 3 inch double wall clean out connection or a 90 degree elbow...which would be better?

From there I need to run a short 3 foot long 3 inch section of pipe to get past the dogleg in the chimney...from there I am wondering if I could run another 3 or 5 foot section of 3 inch pipe into a 3 inch to 4 inch reducer and run the rest of the way up with 2 sections of 5 foot 4 inch pipe?

I am also planning on using high temp RTV at all connections and then seal that with high temp foil tape.

Thank you for any help you can provide

I would definitely use a clean out T. You don’t say what stove you have (for some reason no one does). Check the manual for recommendations on what size pipe for what application. I would thing about goinout of the stove to a T with pellet pipe....then up and out with flex pipe. You also need to think about sealing the flue around the new pipe.

Sorry about that...the stove is a US stove model 5502M
I've gone through the manual several times,I'm just not clear on using the 3 and 4 inch pipe together.
Manual says use 3 inch under 12 or 13 feet (I can't Remember off the top of my head) and 4 inch if over
Thank you for the quick reply and I definitely will go with the clean out T.

Well, if you’re running 18 feet, you’ll need to go to 4 inch. I’d used a standard Appliance adaptor (3) out of the stove to a clean out....then adapt up to 4” flex. Read the manual. It will give you examples of most all hookup designs

Is it OK to go from 3 inch to 4 inch pipe?
I've read the manual several times but it doesn't say if I can or cant.
I need to use approximately 3 feet of 3 inch pipe to get past the dogleg in the chimney then use an adapter and switch over to 4 inch the rest of the way...will this work?