Pellet stove intake vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcconnahea19

Jan 5, 2009
NW Ohio
hello, I am in the process of running the intake venting for my pellet stove, and I have come across an issue. My pellet stove have a 4" intake and I am running it straight down into our basement, then a 90 into the crawlspace and then another 90 to the exterior wall. My problem is that the length of venting is approx 12-15 ft combined with 3-4 90 degree bends will be to long and will cause combustion problems. I was thinking of increasing to 6" when i get into the basement or crawlspace to help air flow. Will this help at all or would i just be wasting my time? Any help will be appreciated.

mcconnahea19 said:
hello, I am in the process of running the intake venting for my pellet stove, and I have come across an issue. My pellet stove have a 4" intake and I am running it straight down into our basement, then a 90 into the crawlspace and then another 90 to the exterior wall. My problem is that the length of venting is approx 12-15 ft combined with 3-4 90 degree bends will be to long and will cause combustion problems. I was thinking of increasing to 6" when i get into the basement or crawlspace to help air flow. Will this help at all or would i just be wasting my time? Any help will be appreciated.

I dont see any problems .. should work fine at 4"

What does the manual say about air intake requirements, that is what counts. Long runs of venting on either end can cause issues because the stove's combustion blower is doing the work and it isn't usually a huge huff and puff device.

Unfortunately, I do not have the manual. I got the stove out of my aunts house when she moved. Im not even sure who made the pellet stove. All I know is that it was made in the mid 90's and the model name is Aspen. Ive tried searching for it online, however I can't find anything to match what I have. The stove works great. I used it last year, I just am not getting enough airflow from the room. So, when it comes to the manufacturer recommendations, I'm kinda at a loss.

So, I guess i am hoping that I can play it safe and about halfway, switch it to 6".

Before playing with an OAK configuration did you check for anything being in the air intake path or the combustion fan cavity?

If you keep the air intake path to the minimum length possible things are likely to work it is just a matter of how well.

Are you currently running with the damper all the way open? I'm fishing for how you know it isn't getting enough air.

I've checked that the damper is completely open and there is nothing obstructing the air flow. There are a couple reasons that I don't think that it is getting enough airflow. The pellets don't seem to be burning properly. Sometimes the burn pot will get full and overflow like they are not burning fast enough, and I don't have the feed motor turned up to fast. After burning for 1-2 hours, the glass will start to blacken. And when burning, I can feel the outside air being pulled the walls. I hope this gives a little more insight into my dilema.

mcconnahea19 said:
I've checked that the damper is completely open and there is nothing obstructing the air flow.......The pellets don't seem to be burning properly. Sometimes the burn pot will get full and overflow like they are not burning fast enough, and I don't have the feed motor turned up to fast......

IMO, this is a case of classic dirty stove.

Tear the thing apart, clean anything & everything you can unbolt, vacuum, brush, etc, etc. Make sure any and all gaskets are in good shape & sealing. Put back together & see what happens then

The OP could just open the nearest window to the stove and see what happens to the flame and how the stove burns.

If that makes almost no difference do what imacman is suggesting, just make sure you have all of the gaskets you will be playing around in case things get torn so that you can't reuse them.

Check all gaskets and make certain all doors close tightly.

I also think it is a classic unmaintained stove issue, just not so certain it is just a dirty stove problem. There are gasket and even burn pot seating matters that could be at play here.

Ok, thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna try a good thorough cleaning and try opening a window a little to see if it helps. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.