pellet stove maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoast413

Oct 3, 2006
Is there any maintenance to be done on a pellet stove? Just bought a used one(15 years old, Traditions by Lennox) Stove works fine but does the auger need to be oiled or anything?

-thanks

eastcoast413 said:
Is there any maintenance to be done on a pellet stove? Just bought a used one(15 years old, Traditions by Lennox) Stove works fine but does the auger need to be oiled or anything?

-thanks

The electric blowers need a once a year oiling. A couple drops of machine oil in the service holes. Check your owners manual for locations

eastcoast413 said:

-thanks
What kind of maintenance are we talkin' here... every thing needs to be maintained.
Pellet stoves are not like home furnaces though where once a year you have someone inspect and clean it. There is yearly.... monthly..... weekly...bi-weekly and more specific per tonnage of what you burn. Keep the burn pot clean, heat exchanger fins clean exhaust vent clean as well as many other things like oiling the bronze bearings. Post some more specifics and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

My wife laughs when I say that I an married to two things............... Her and the stove...... I scrape the burn pot almost everyday... :p

OK yes we just cleaned the burn area out including heat exchange fins. The exhaust is brand new all the way to the roof, just put the stove in a few days ago. We do not have the service manual so I need to know where to oil it. -thanks

This what you are looking for? http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/brochure/775001-E-TRADITIONS-T300P-2.pdf#search='lennox%20traditions%20pellet%20stove%20manual'

Shorten up the web address, you may find more there (i.e. http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com)

I didn't take the time to look too much, you may want to just call or email them?

As far as oiling the motor........... If it has bronze bushings as the bearing surface, These are most likely oil impregnated (i can't remember the # I think it's like SAE 461 bronze)
They should not require to be oiled for the normal life of the bearing, the oil when it is completly gone from the bronze surface then the bearing wears when it gets to that point you would be better to change the bushing, because the oil will not stick to it.....ie: you would have to oil it almost everyday to notice anything...

Is it making noise?

GVA said:
As far as oiling the motor........... If it has bronze bushings as the bearing surface, These are most likely oil impregnated (i can't remember the # I think it's like SAE 461 bronze)
They should not require to be oiled for the normal life of the bearing, the oil when it is completly gone from the bronze surface then the bearing wears when it gets to that point you would be better to change the bushing, because the oil will not stick to it.....ie: you would have to oil it almost everyday to notice anything...

Is it making noise?

Wow all that rambling I just did and didn't even fully understand the question Didn't know that these had oil service holes.

Sorry....................... :shut:

I like to blow some compressed air into the innards and motor housings of mine every once a year or so. You may have to remove them to get into them to clean them out otherwise but some some compressed air will clean it out without having to. By air I mean from a tank not one of those cutsey little compressed air cans for computers. If you find any rust inside the back of the stove the off season is a good time to scuff it with some sand paper and give it a shot of high temp paint. I spray some spray oil on the inside of my burn pot and fire area after cleaning. Off season is a good time to run a brush through the pipe as well. Take the time to learn where if any your stove has spots in the back of the burn area or inside the back of the pipe where ash accumulates and clean this area out. Remember well the chief cause of a lazy yellow flame poorly operating pellet stove is a dirty stove. Mine doesn't require any oiling of the auger at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.