Pellet Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinb93rs

Oct 31, 2012
So I recently had a an Ecochoice PS50 installed in my basement as it tends to be quite cold there and generally warm throughout the rest of the house during the winter months using our oil fired furnace. But as we all know the price of oil is getting ridiculous! I live in Ontario Canada and I recently had my tank topped off @ $1.07 per litre. So we decided to go with something to offset the cost and pellet seemed the most practicle way. I have been running the pellet stove now for a couple days and the heat this bad boy pumps out is fantastic, however, takes a while for the upstairs to see a change in the temperature.

The layout of my home is an elevated bungalo, 1600 sq ft per level. The stairs to the basement are at the opposite side of the home as the stove, and I can feel a difference just walking 2 steps down. I decided to tap into the cold air return at the far side of the room (away from the stove) hoping to move some of the heat upstairs, it works but not to the effect I thought it would. Also the basement is fully finished insulated and we had new windows installed this past summer.

I thougth about a fan for the stairs but not sure about placement as well as I read on here about pushing cold air towards the stove instead of trying to move the heat away. Given the layout of the basement I don't know how I can achieve this. I would be lieing if I said I didn't consider putting a direct vent from the rec room to the upstairs but knowing this is a huge fire hazard I decided to put this off.

Any suggestions on moving air would be great. I have a drawing of the layout I threw together at work today but my account was just recently activated so I will have to wait until tomorrow to upload it.

Oh and one more thing, I was told running the furnace fan is like running a bigger table fan so I would see a very minor jump in my hydro bill. Is this accurate or am I in for a big surprise?

Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

As you have found out, putting the stove in the basement is great for heating the basement, but not so good at much else. Basement installs are, at best, iffy. The main problem is something you tried to address (getting the heated air upstairs, and cold air down), but can't really make work.

Bottom line is that pellet stoves are made to heat the area they are located in....anything other than that room is just coincidence and a nice bonus. Some people get it to work, most don't.

You have to decide if the basement or the upstairs is what you want the stove to heat primarily. If it's upstairs, then I'm afraid the stove needs to be put there.

Moving Cold air down the steps will have better results.

But putting it where the heat is needed will work the Best

Welcome to the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.