Pellet Stove Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrome93

Feb 6, 2008
Central MA
Hi everyone,
I have a feeling I asked this question last year but i can't remember (nor find) the posted answer so I apologize for asking again, but I'm curious about the surface rust inside my stove during the summer. Is it a big problem? Should I be sanding it down and painting it etc..? Is my stove rusting away? It's a 2001 Pioneer Lopi. Thanks!

that is not that odd if you want to stop it from happening you may want to clean and paint the inside of the stove.

I spray mine with silicone spray after I am done burning for the year. Protects it right nicely.

You can sand and paint with stove paint, that's what I'm doing now. I forgot to put a sock in the vent last year, that is a good idea! If you do so, put some tape on the go switch or thermostat to remind you come fire time. Pam works, actually any oil spray as mentioned, they tend to get rusty when not in use. No harm done.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to sand it down and probably paint it. I'll remember to be more proactive next year in putting some oil on the inside. I just had crazy visions of the thing rusting away and having to use the electric baseboard this winter!

Using a dessicant and keeping the stove closed in the summer would eliminate the problem of surface rust. The exhaust would have to be closed off and the stove kept closed for the season. The dessicant absorbs the moisture in the air so it doesn't allow the steel to oxidize. Dessicant is that little packet you get in a new shoe box. It will take a larger amount for the volume of a pellet stove but the stuff is fairly available and cheap. Or, clean it out and spray it with olive oil (PAM) it will coat and prevent rusting just like yr cast iron pans on the stove.

I spray inside mine with WD40. If you repaint it, it will burn right off anyway. Brush it down and spray it. It'll be fine.

My stove dealer (and maintenance guy) said to put a box of baking soda in there. That has seemed to work ok.

I may try the WD40 trick too.
Dumb question: I assume WD40 is flammable, so what happens when your fire up the stove for the first time??

mrmichaeljmoore said:
Dumb question: I assume WD40 is flammable, so what happens when your fire up the stove for the first time??
It's flammable but mostly only when the volatiles are present (like straight out of the can). After the summer, the film left will burn off and add a few extra hydrocarbons to the vent exhaust which will accelerate global warming and in the long term reduce your need for pellets :) No biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.