pellet stove takes off like a freight train!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DFowler

Dec 6, 2020
NorCal
I need some help, I just installed a comfortbilt hp50 . when its running, it will take off like a freight train, then die way down, then take off again! the flame is never lazy and it is always a good color, it just races and then drops to almost nothing. On levels 1-3 it drops down to coals only dumps pellets, sparks fly and then it takes of again. I can actually hear sucking air when it races. I can also smell smoke on start up. The customer service has tried but no good, the numbers they send me to adjust feed rate dont seem to apply to my stove, so I set all settings back to factory . also, the damper does next to nothing to the flame, it will burn with the damper completely closed. Any advice?

Last edited:
First I would say read your manual cover to cover and understand how to
operate your stove.

First I would say read your manual cover to cover and understand how to
operate your stove.
Ive have done enough research on this stove I feel like I probably know more about it than the so called techs at the company. As far as the manual goes Ive read it through at least twice and it is a joke, there is no mention at all of a damper, I had to figure that out on my own. I was simply hoping someone on this forum has ran into the same issue.

We would love to help you but we are not mind readers
We have no idea what year your stove is, Is it clean, the
type of venting, An OAK yes/no
just a few clues help General statements don't help at all

@JRemington is a dealer he may jump in here and get ya fixed up. Here is a video of settings Vide