Pellet Stove to the Rescue! (a good Samaritan story)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I left my home this afternoon I saw a new family moving into an empty house across the street. Upon return 5 hours later I saw that they were all moved-in but everything was a cluttered mess (the front "wall" is all glass), so I walked over to say hello and they were soon mentioning that the heater wasn't working. So I got involved in trying to find the problem. It seemed there was a wall thermostat that wasn't connected to anything so they were left with no solution to a 50 degree house. Until...behind a big box I noticed a Whitfield Advantage II-t insert in the fireplace. "I can do this", I thought to myself. I'd seen plenty of info on that stove here and in the PDF owner's manual, so I opened it and removed the burn pot and grate. The ash pan was full of ash which I cleaned out after going to my home to get the things need to get the stove going. Upon return, the baby had pushed the start button so I saw it was running. A good sign. I loaded a necessary amount of pellets into the hopper, which was empty, (I had 5 bags in my trunk so I carried on into the house). Then I put some wood chips and little pine cones into the grate, squirted them with some smokeless lamp oil, and Voila!! Excellent flame and it all only took about 10 minutes. They were glad to not have to spent the foreseeable future in the cold and I was glad that I had stopped by to say "hi".
Out back under a old pine tree was a big tank, maybe 600 gallons, for heating oil for a monitor heater, something that was long gone from the house leaving the place only with the pellet stove, which they had no experience in operating. Fortunately, us who do are more than willing to help those who don't, and be helped at times in return.

PS I noticed that the grate of the Advantage II has 4 rows of holes while my Advantage 1 only has 3. Also, the strength of the combustion blower was amazing, what a powerfully wind-blown flame! Like a rocket exhaust. I guess my EVL is too high, or my blower isn't as strong. Or the area of my blower housing that extends into the 90 degree angle of the flue is blocking air flow that shouldn't be blocked. Does anyone think I should invest in an upgraded grate with 4 rows of holes? My flame is very good except when it's burning at maximum. At maximum it still burns clean (seemingly) but the power of the air movement isn't as strong since the flame movement looks well blown, but not powerfully blown. But I don't run it on high very much, though if the flame was like the Advantage II-t, I'd be much more inclined to let it rip more often. Just wondering what the story is with the difference in the flames of the two stoves.

You had a problem with your Combustion Blower this week, so it could be weak and old, or a mixture of that and that "Hard" 90* turn and that baffle in its way. That 90* turn looks like it was welded on by someone. Is that a factory original part? My Quad has a "Rip Roaring Vortex" of a flame. The Englander I just bought (15 yrs old) was pretty lazy. So I put a new Comb Blower on it, and now its burning pretty violently itself. I have seen a few stove that just had a fire and the pellets didn't "dance" or move around in the pot. The flame should be "Active" and enough so to make pellets want to jump out of there resting place. Otherwise you need more air. Either in the form of a blower "Fresher" pulling more air through the system, or less restrictions from it being pushed through.

What is your venting set-up? If you mentioned it before, I forget. Cheers

I suspect it's a combination of all the possibilities working together. My stove (blower) is from 1988, my vent system is very unconventional but the only hard 90 degree angle is the one between the blower housing and the flue pipe it's mounted to. The edge of the housing extends into the flue pipe over an inch, blocking 2/5ths of the pipe. It's the way it was made back in '88. My vent pipe's length is about 15 feet with one curved 90 degree elbow in the 4" section, then a couple 45 degree angles before it enters the last section which is the original 3" vent pipe for a long-gone water heater. So it goes from 4" for about 12 feet (6' horizontal, 6' 45 degree upward), to 3" for the remaining 3 feet. No doubt it's over the recommended EVL limit. Speaking of which, there's something wrong with the EVL formula, which states that 1 EVL=.5 vertical length, in other words, an Equivalent Vertical Length of 1 Foot equals half a foot of vertical length!??? How can one foot equal half a foot? or vice versa?

1 Ft Vertical Length = 1/2 ft - This is because of Natural Draft. This cuts down on the energy needed for the stove to expel the exhaust. Therefore 1 ft Horz is 1 ft. The stove has to fight to push it through the horizontal section or section's. But with the help of "The Stack Effect" or Naturally rising hot air, This number is reduced in half. Thereby making 1 ft Vert equals 1/2 ft.

Way to go! If this forum had the rep system I'd b giving you rep
the good deed!

Kudos to you arnash great to help somebody out that needed to keep thier family warm. :exclaim:

+1000 interweb points for good neighborship, and I'm sending you a FREE tinfoil hat!

Sweet of you to help them out! They are lucky to have such a nice neighborn, not only to pop over and be friendly but to help them out as well.

I'll add my 'atta boys' too, arnash! Now you have to put them onto a stash of pellets. I can't believe the previous owners left them with no pellets and no heat! Amazing. At the same time, what were they thinking?

I failed to mention that the house is a rental, so the rep. that rented it to them didn't know much about it. As for my grate question (my 3 rows vs the Advantage II 4 rows of holes) this morning I drilled 3 new holes into it near the center, but I then discovered there was another problem. My ash pan has no latch to hold it tight to the stove body, while the other stove had something in place that wouldn't allow me to remove it (a latch). I've wondered how my stove was supposed to maintain a tight air seal with such a loose ash pan.. Anyway, when I pushed on it, sealing it better, the air through the grate noticeably increased in strength. I tested it like that several times and then just held it in place for a while and then it stayed tight. So that, plus only three rows of holes, contributed to a less-than-maximum combustion air speed. I wonder how many other stoves are missing their ash pan latch, contributing to a weakened flame.

Great job helping out a fellow burner. I wonder how they even get insurance on a place like that. Around here you need a oil or gas fired automatic heater to even get insurance. A rental is even tougher. I can't imagine relying on a wood burning device being operated by renters. I couldn't sleep at night knowing they must do maintenance on it to keep it safe.

turbotech said:
Great job helping out a fellow burner. I wonder how they even get insurance on a place like that. Around here you need a oil or gas fired automatic heater to even get insurance. A rental is even tougher. I can't imagine relying on a wood burning device being operated by renters. I couldn't sleep at night knowing they must do maintenance on it to keep it safe.

^ x2. You should always have your "Non Solid Fuel" heat source as your back up. I only use the LP furnace spring and fall to make sure it works. I also leave the unit on Off, but the off chance I come home and its 0 degrees outside, and the pellet burner has shut down (Forgot to feed it). I will Fire up the hog to get the house warm again, while the pellet stove starts up. It is a must have. There will always be times you need it. This winter I used it 1 time. In the fall, just to make sure it worked. In a couple weeks I will do the same thing. Hope they do get another heating system of some sort. The "Landlord" should be responsible for that.

But Good for you, for being a "Great Nieghbor", not many people left in the world that will lend a helping hand.

Where I live is about 8 miles from the coast, separated by a low mountain of giant redwoods, so it doesn't get the coastal fog or the inland heat and cold. Most of the winter averages about 50 degrees so if the power goes out, one won't freeze -unless it's during one of the occasional cold spells. Still, I'd sure like to have the wood stove my brother-in-law gave me installed just in case. Maybe I can adapt it to use as an insert into my worthless fireplace. Its 2 shortcomings are that it was outside a long time and suffered a lot of internal rust, and... the door has no window! Still, it would only be for emergencies. BTW, it includes 3 4' sections of vent pipe which cost $150. each new! Not bad for free.

When it is time to order your pellets if you do you should stop buy and let them know. Some times pellet dealers will give people discounts for more pellets ordered that way you can both save some money. Great of you to help them out pellet burners seem to be very nice people and have very nice lawns also for some reason.

arnash said:
Where I live is about 8 miles from the coast, separated by a low mountain of giant redwoods, so it doesn't get the coastal fog or the inland heat and cold. Most of the winter averages about 50 degrees so if the power goes out, one won't freeze -unless it's during one of the occasional cold spells. Still, I'd sure like to have the wood stove my brother-in-law gave me installed just in case. Maybe I can adapt it to use as an insert into my worthless fireplace. Its 2 shortcomings are that it was outside a long time and suffered a lot of internal rust, and... the door has no window! Still, it would only be for emergencies. BTW, it includes 3 4' sections of vent pipe which cost $150. each new! Not bad for free.

Good deal on the stove and sounds like a nice place to live.

WAY TO GO THERE Bro

Normally all I hear is neighbors hating neighbors and such, really sweet to see someone helping others.

I lived in a city setting for a while a number of years ago. The neighbors in the little Cul De Sac I lived on all bitched and hated each other, sooooo sad.

Hope this little act of kindness sparks a lasting friendship.

Snowy

arnash said:

You'll find that glass for the door is VERY EXPENSIVE! When I converted to pellet stoves, my dealer took my wood burners and said he always had people looking for wood burners for their workshops, etc. 1 1/2 years later they still aren't sold for ANY AMOUNT. No offers. So I call him to tell him I'm coming up to pick them up and he tells me they have been sitting outside all this time and are very rusty! AND the big one somehow got its glass broken. I looked to see what glass cost and it would cost more for the glass than I could get for the stove on Craigslist.

It seems more and more that prices for some things cost more than the things that they would fix. Things of serious value sell for dirt cheap prices and things that aren't expensive to make sell for ridiculous prices. It's nuts. Before moving up here to Redwood country, I lived in Santa Ana, CA and while shopping at a second-hand store I found a very nice painting of the redwood forest on a misty day (just like where I was moving to) priced at $1.98! Years later I put a used frame on it and it sold on consignment for $100! The right person found it and appreciated its value. Speaking of value, the local Art Gallery has paintings and photos priced like they're in Beverly Hills. I'm just astonished at what mediocre works are priced at, does anybody really pay those kinds of crazy prices? What's wrong with people? I'm definitely not a member of that crazy club.

Status
Not open for further replies.