Pellet stove vent pipe sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNH

Aug 30, 2006
Surry NH
I have gone over my pellet stove vent pipe with silicone like 5 times now but every time I fire up the stove I get little whisps of smoke that come from tiny holes in the joints of the vent pipe.
its it critical that I seal EVERY possible hole? Once the blower starts and the fire gets going the smoke wisps stop.
????

TedNH said:
I have gone over my pellet stove vent pipe with silicone like 5 times now but every time I fire up the stove I get little whisps of smoke that come from tiny holes in the joints of the vent pipe.
its it critical that I seal EVERY possible hole? Once the blower starts and the fire gets going the smoke wisps stop.
????
TedNH before I forget check out the thread outside combustion blower and see what you have to add to it....

Next order of business silicone doesn't like to stick to silicone If the joints weren't sealed completely the first time you have a couple of options
1 take the pipe apart and clean as much rtv off as posible and then seal it again
2 a simpler solutution would be to get the 600* foil tape and just wrap over the joints and that should take care of it then in the warmer months you can do option 1

if the stove is rear vented, are you shure its not coming out of the door? Do you actually see this smoke? Sometimes the glass on pellet stoves is only gasketed on three sides, and in a rear vent situation it can push smoke if the burn pot is to full of pellets.

Im behind the stove with a flashlight.
watching it happen.
smoke only comes in when its lighting up from cold.
once its running I really dont smell/see anything.
Im not going to worry about it.

How many bags have you burned so far? I know that on mine if I go about 30-40 bags It becomes a smoker when it starts up it can actually fill my yard so it looks like my house is on fire to the average passerbyer (is this a word?) If you have gone through more than a half ton try cleaning it and see if this helps....... But you should still take care of those leaks in the pipe.

I have to rest.............................................................sorry dozed off there you guys are up kinda late I've got alot of stuff to do this weekend so gotta go may not hear from me till tuesday unless I can sneak past my wife and get to the computer. :coolsmile:
Have a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good ole Simpson sure-to vent. Perhaps Must Be Bent. Or was that, gore-a-vent? Overpriced nonsensical garbage. You have to seal every single seam and rivet, not just where two pipes "lock" together. I put that in quotes, because I have two brand new pieces that no matter how hard you try, simply will not twist lock. They came out iwth a "premium" pellet vent, which of course is a lot more money. Hopefully it works better than the junk that is currently out there.

Oh its not that bad. Where else you gonna find something that lets you just punch a hole in the wall, put in 10 screws and a bracket and be done with it. Then just snap it apart in the summer wipe it down and toss it on a shelf for the unused part of the season. You only have to worry about the pieces that connect inside the house anyways right? Seal it with the red hi temp sealer and wrap it with some of that high temp foil tape and over wrap the joints. Myself I just twist mine together and haven't even got the sealant on the joints. I get a small whisp of amoke if its smoking on startup but thats about it. If you have any that are bent on the mouths make sure they are on the outside. You probably wont notice it after you get used to the stove anyways.

TedNH said:
Im behind the stove with a flashlight.
watching it happen.
smoke only comes in when its lighting up from cold.
once its running I really dont smell/see anything.
Im not going to worry about it.

TedNH,
Do you still have the smoke leak? Do you smell any smoke when the stove is going out too? I have the smoke smell too. Check out the "Harman XXV Installed" thread if you are interested. Any concerns about CO2 building up?

I dont have the smoke smell any more.
I just went over the leaks a few more times with the silicone.
Where you have a leak the silicone will turn brown. Easy to spot.
Once the exhaust fan is running very little will leak out the back. I put a Carbon monoxide sensor on the wall behind the stove for a week and it never went off. Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.