1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgallagher

tgallagher New Member

Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Every time I run my pellet stove I get awful headaches. Can anyone help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lobstah

Lobstah New Member

Loc:
    Central Ma
    Can you give us a few more details?

Does it help if you crack a window?...are you in a mobile home?...do you have carbon dioxide detectors?...is it an old stove?...insert?....

Jim
  3. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    Is it a new stove? If so, you'll have to put up with some odors from the paint and oils burning off the stove. It takes a few hours of burning to even start to get rid of the odors.
  4. millerag

millerag New Member

Loc:
    Dauphin, Pa
    We have been getting very bad head aches that we have associated with dried out sinus........ we baught a humidifier and do not have head aches any more.
  5. tgallagher

tgallagher New Member

Loc:
    Albany, NY
    This is a new stove insert, Oct. 08, Pellet / Corn fed. Strong odor which is giving me terrible headaches. We live in a 2300 sq.ft house and want to use this to heat it.
  6. Skinn

Skinn Member

Loc:
    NY
    Burn it on high for an hour or two and crack some windows. I was fortunate that when I installed mine it was 80 degrees out so I just cranked it up as hot as it would go and opened all the windows and left them that way till the stink was gone.
  7. AndyL

AndyL New Member

Loc:
    Norfolk co. Ma.
    Was this stove proffesionally installed? If its not installed properly you could be getting flue gas in Your home.
    If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector get one!
  8. orangecrushcj7

orangecrushcj7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Barre MA
    how many hours have you burned it so far? if it has only been a few, it is likely the oils and paint curing, like everyone else has said. But i would also be very concerned with the presence of carbon monoxide. if you don't have a detector, get one! headache is one of the early symptoms of CO poisoning.

You also will have a difficult time heating your entire home relying solely on the pellet stove.

By the way, you'll get alot more reads and replies on this thread if you are more specific in your post. All posts in this specific forum are related to pellet stoves. If you stick around this forum you'll learn more than you ever thought possible about pellet stoves.
  9. tgallagher

tgallagher New Member

Loc:
    Albany, NY
    OK I will try to be more specific. Bought the stove insert in July 2008 it was professionally installed opened windows and burned for about 1 hour. Have been burning daily for the month of November. We do have a working carbon-monoxide detector .

Thank you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.