Pellet types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet rick

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2015
Pottstown PA.
i know this has probably been beaten to death but here it goes. Every where I look for pellet I find hardwood pellets . But am I right that the soft wood pellets burn hotter? Or am I wrong

No easy answer. Depends on how the pellet was made and not necessarily hardwood vs softwood. Each has a rating and some hardwoods can burn hotter than softwood and some softwoods can burn hotter than hardwood. That's been my experience. Too many variables going into how a pellet burns. Read the bag rating and experiment with different pellets to find one that works best for you.

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0568.PNG
No easy answer. Depends on how the pellet was made and not necessarily hardwood vs softwood. Each has a rating and some hardwoods can burn hotter than softwood and some softwoods can burn hotter than hardwood. That's been my experience. Too many variables going into how a pellet burns. Read the bag rating and experiment with different pellets to find one that works best for you.
Thanks for your input. I was just curious, there is not a whole lot of anything readily available in south east pa especially softwood. I'm kinda stuck with the big box store stuff . And this year they have brands I know nothing about and my Englander 25 can be fussy. Anyone have any input on these brands

Don't waste your money on the green team platinums they are the same as regular green teams which are overpriced , the other two are both your typical box store pellets.where abouts are you in South East PA because there are a few dealers around that sell top of the line pellets if that's what you want.

Don't waste your money on the green team platinums they are the same as regular green teams which are overpriced , the other two are both your typical box store pellets.where abouts are you in South East PA because there are a few dealers around that sell top of the line pellets if that's what you want.
We are in Pottstown pa about 40 min from Philadelphia. I'm looking for the hottest pellets I can find . I need to overheat my basement to heat my upstairs which is not ideal my any means but I do what I gotta do. If you have any suggestions on pellets in my area I would appreciate it.

I mean the pellet dealer I work with, used to carry them but the interest and demand
went to zero... We only sell premium softwood pellets, mostly from BC.
I'm not badmouthing them, don't get me wrong... I'm just telling you that we get no calls for them.

Dan

Wish I could find softwood around here. Everything is hardwood

I'm right up the road from you in Birdsboro, Bucks pellet is a little bit of a drive but they have several softwood brands or Fehls Agway on 5th street near reading has Hamers which burn hot .Also if you check some of the Lowe's get the AWF softwoods, I got a bunch of them last year at the Morgantown Lowe's.

Last edited:
Thanks, where is bucks located ? And you wouldn't happen to know what they are charging , would you?

A good quality pellet is far more important than whether or not it's soft/hard wood. I've burned both, and my stove burns super similar between most anything I run through it.

Hi Rick. I'm in Chester county and agree that pellet selection is awful. Box stores carry whatever their buyers can scrounge at low price, which is usually Greene Team, Greene Supreme or Stove Chow. None fit the bill for me if certain others are available. I've had good success with PrestoLogs but they are hard to find near us.

Buying my year's supply from Joe at Buck's Pellets, already mentioned above (and I like to support forum members on this and another board). Service and follow up via email has been fantastic so you might want to contact them.

Personally, I find Hamer's to be the best pellet overall for my needs. It's a hardwood blend that is likely primarily oak and comes out of WV. Produces the least ash and soot of anything I've tried over six seasons in two stoves, and are one of the hottest burning for me as well. I've burned softwood and they were fine although I found they produce more sticky ash than I like. I'm trying a couple of softwood blend bags from Bucks just to see how they burn, but it will be tough to pull me away from Hamer's given past experience.

Pellet types largely depend on what can be sourced within 200 or so miles of your location, as they are often transported by truck. We have much more hardwood than softwood in our area, so we get what we get. But hardwood can be a great pellet if you get the right brand.

Last edited:
Thanks Wilbur, I thought it was maybe me with not being able to find good pellets. I have tried hamers and they were good but I only found them one time at the stove shop in Chester county and not again. I thought this year I would pick up a ton of sifts from Bucks to see if they burn hotter with less ash. I have one of the englander 25 pdv ( the bigger of the two 25's ) and even with burn pot mod's it produces a lot of unburnt ash in the pot which chokes the flame and kills the heat. So figured I see if soft would be any better. Any thoughts anyone? Becides buying a better stove, lol?

Reactions: Bucks Pellets
Thanks Wilbur, I thought it was maybe me with not being able to find good pellets. I have tried hamers and they were good but I only found them one time at the stove shop in Chester county and not again. I thought this year I would pick up a ton of sifts from Bucks to see if they burn hotter with less ash. I have one of the englander 25 pdv ( the bigger of the two 25's ) and even with burn pot mod's it produces a lot of unburnt ash in the pot which chokes the flame and kills the heat. So figured I see if soft would be any better. Any thoughts anyone? Becides buying a better stove, lol?

Also a customer of Buckspellets....
gave up on the Box store pellets a while back..
My Harman will burn anything but too much Ash to deal with Especially when I get home and there is
Mountain of ash starting to Smother the flames. [New pellets are supposed to push the ash from the burnpot into the ash pan with my stove but sometimes with crappy pellets the overload of ash can be overwhelming and Win..]
prefer Hamers and Softwoods...
Much less Ash from the Softies..

Last edited:
Ace Hardware stores usually carry Lignetics Pellets. Lignetic makes the Prestolog Pellets. Another place to try for pellets is Ray's Greenhouse in Telford, PA. They usually carry Barefoot Pellets and sometimes get the CountyBoy White Lightning Pellets.
Joe @ Bucks is great to deal with. I have bought from Joe when he had some pre season sales. I personally just have a hard time justifying $300 per ton for softwood pellets. My Harman, too, will burn anything I put in it. I stocked up during the late Spring fire sale happening at Lowes and Home Depot.

Ace Hardware stores usually carry Lignetics Pellets. Lignetic makes the Prestolog Pellets. Another place to try for pellets is Ray's Greenhouse in Telford, PA. They usually carry Barefoot Pellets and sometimes get the CountyBoy White Lightning Pellets.
Joe @ Bucks is great to deal with. I have bought from Joe when he had some pre season sales. I personally just have a hard time justifying $300 per ton for softwood pellets. My Harman, too, will burn anything I put in it. I stocked up during the late Spring fire sale happening at Lowes and Home Depot.
I used to feel the same way about softwood pellet prices.
but, when I took into account that it's roughly 50 bucks or so more for a ton that last me a while, it;s not out of range pricewise.
hell, used to spend more than that a week at Starbucks and that 'product' is gone by late morning Bathroom visit.;em
at least the pellets last a month or more in middle winter...krazy comparison but works for me..

To each his own, for me I use 4-5 ton a year no matter what pellet or brand. After a $50+ savings per ton, I basically get a free ton.
I scored 2 Ton of the AWF white pine softwoods during the Lowes fire sale this spring($99.00 per ton)

To each his own, for me I use 4-5 ton a year no matter what pellet or brand. After a $50+ savings per ton, I basically get a free ton.
I scored 2 Ton of the AWF white pine softwoods during the Lowes fire sale this spring($99.00 per ton)
yep..
lotta people scored at the Box stores last year...
I could have bought stove chows at the Fire sale but declined....
I would have grabbed the AWF had they been available here at HD.

http://www.kegerreisstoves.com in Bernville usually has some softwood. They have a large selection of pellets to choose from, all stored inside. Prebuy pricing was less the big box store for hardwoods, not sure softwood pricing. Agway in Betchesville had Barefoot last year, not sure about this year. Call the Agways in the area. Pottstown roller mills is another place to check, not sure what they have this year. There is another place on rt 100 on the left that has pellets. It is before you get to Jakes flea market. It's a lawn and garden place. Last year they had a brand I wasn't familiar with, Blackstone or something like that.

Ok so I call Kegerries and the soft wood is American brand and Rays Greenhouses has EZ heat brand which I do not know if it soft or hard. Anybody have any history with either of these pellet brands ?

Ok so I call Kegerries and the soft wood is American brand and Rays Greenhouses has EZ heat brand which I do not know if it soft or hard. Anybody have any history with either of these pellet brands ?
Was it EZ Heat or Ez Blaze? If it's EZ Blaze, there are two types, a softwood blend and a 100% softwood. I have some of the 100% softwoods and I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.