Pellet vent clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scdngy

Oct 24, 2023
Wa State
There's been some discussion about pellet vent clearances from walls, but not so much about clearances depending on wall materials. Does anyone know if a pellet vent becomes hot enough to burn or degrade normal drywall? What would be a reasonable minimum clearance? Is 1" clearance on the risky side, or safe because the double walled pellet vent won't ever be hot enough to cause damage? Thanks for all the great info here at Hearth.com....I'm impressed.

There's been some discussion about pellet vent clearances from walls, but not so much about clearances depending on wall materials. Does anyone know if a pellet vent becomes hot enough to burn or degrade normal drywall? What would be a reasonable minimum clearance? Is 1" clearance on the risky side, or safe because the double walled pellet vent won't ever be hot enough to cause damage? Thanks for all the great info here at Hearth.com....I'm impressed.
Read the specifications for the pipe your using and your stove. They will tell you what's required

Some pipe requires 1" clearance, and other pipe requires up to 3" clearance (don't ask me why). It is always best to go with whatever the pipe manufacturer states.

Drywall is, according to mechanical sub-codes, a "combustible" so you need to observe the required clearance. If it was against cinder blocks, or a rock face, then that is a different story. But, at the same time, there is no advantage to having the pipe right against even a non-combustible material (in my opinion). If you need to take the pipe apart for some reason (new stove, change location of the stove etc), then you will appreciate the gap for working with the material.

Some pipe requires 1" clearance, and other pipe requires up to 3" clearance (don't ask me why). It is always best to go with whatever the pipe manufacturer states.

Drywall is, according to mechanical sub-codes, a "combustible" so you need to observe the required clearance. If it was against cinder blocks, or a rock face, then that is a different story. But, at the same time, there is no advantage to having the pipe right against even a non-combustible material (in my opinion). If you need to take the pipe apart for some reason (new stove, change location of the stove etc), then you will appreciate the gap for working with the material.
Thanks.....very true....so clearance can also allow or hinder pipe "workability". Will keep this in mind.