PELLET VENTING QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJAY

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2010
WISCONSIN
I AM INSTALLING A PELLET STOVE INSERT AND WAS WONDERING ON THE VENT KIT I CAN GET A HIGH ALTITUDE VENT KIT, 4" FOR $100 LESS THEN THE REGULAR 3" KIT. DOES IT MATTER IF I USE A HIGH ALTITUDE KIT VERSES THE REGULAR 3" VENT KIT? NOT SURE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS. I LIVE IN WISCONSIN.
THANK YOU.

CJAY said:
I AM INSTALLING A PELLET STOVE INSERT AND WAS WONDERING ON THE VENT KIT I CAN GET A HIGH ALTITUDE VENT KIT, 4" FOR $100 LESS THEN THE REGULAR 3" KIT. DOES IT MATTER IF I USE A HIGH ALTITUDE KIT VERSES THE REGULAR 3" VENT KIT? NOT SURE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS. I LIVE IN WISCONSIN.
THANK YOU.

What matters is what the stove needs to properly operate, if the install conditions will allow the 4" then it will likely prevent a lot of problems people using 3" pipe seem to get themselves in.

Read the entire installation manual for the stove you got, it lays it all out.

ETA: The difference is in the cross sectional area that the combustion fan has to deal with, larger is better and required once you pass a certain EVL threshold (manual reading time).

Status
Not open for further replies.