pellets for a Big-E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
I have a Breckwell Big-E that I'll be using once my wood runs out next week. I'm lining up my prebuy for pellets and was wondering which pellets Big-E users has had luck with. I'm down to using NEWP or Lignetics. I want to hear from the Big-E users out there. TIA

Tom

If you can get the Lignetics for about the same price as the NEWP's. Lignetics would be my choice.

But both are good in the BigE. I would get just a little more heat out of the Lignetics and the NEWP's had just a little more ash so I would have to scrap every other day. Scraped every 3rd day with the Lignetics.

jay

Hamer Hot Ones is my first choice if you can get them....

2. Cubex

3. Lignetics

Lignetics, probably first choice. Fireside Ultra Premiums, pretty good. Blazers are real good too. The only ones I really disliked were the Athens pellets (Maine Woods)

While some of the ones suggested might be good, the area dealers don't carry many of them. LG, NEWP and some from Maine are the ones I can get. And the ones from Maine (not sure of the name on them yet) were tried out by some friends at work and they had a LOT of ash to them (and they were the cheapest, wouldn't you know it). Thanks for the info.

LGs are softwood, very small pellets, heat was good, ash OK, about 1/2 cup of fines or less per bag. I didn't burn them in a Breckwell though.

I burned 3 tons of LGs in a Big E this past season and had no problems whatsoever. I scraped the burn pot once a day and cleaned the stove about once a week. This was my first season, so can't give any relative perspective on other pellets.

I'll be ordering a minimum 1.5 tons of LGs for next season, maybe try something else too, potentially Greenway or Blazers. Anybody have experience with either in their Big E?

snikr said:
I have a Breckwell Big-E that I'll be using once my wood runs out next week. I'm lining up my prebuy for pellets and was wondering which pellets Big-E users has had luck with. I'm down to using NEWP or Lignetics. I want to hear from the Big-E users out there. TIA

Tom

Any pellets that are made out of Dug-fur.

Status
Not open for further replies.