1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellets in Los Angeles?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by superhero1219, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhero1219

superhero1219 New Member

Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Hello everyone!

I know this sounds like an odd question - why would someone in California need wood pellets? While I don't have a pellet stove, I do have 8 very cute (and smelly) bunny rabbits!! I've been reading up on the best litter to use and a few people have suggested wood stove pellets. The problem is, I can't seem to find any in the area. I'm throwing up a hail mary - do any of you have any suggestions as to where I should look? I'd prefer an actual location as opposed to an online retailer due to the weight - I assume having them shipped would be very costly. If any of you have any suggestions, we're all ears (and there are a lot of ears over here).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Many pet or farm supply type of stores offer pellets as animal bedding. I think they are slightly different from what the folks here are burning. Trying a few phone calls in your area may be helpful.
  3. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    My bags of Hamer's Hot Ones go as far as to say they are not to be used for animal bedding. I'm not sure about the Energex bags. I'm not exactly sure why you can't use them.
  4. Souzafone

Souzafone Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Freetown, Massachusetts
    Same here---many bags warn against using for pets.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA

The pellets used for animal bedding is different.
    Do an online search for animal/pellet bedding,
    or look in your local yellow pages under pet supplies.
  6. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    So if these pellets are just compressed dried sawdust held together by the natural resins in the wood, why would you not be able to use them?
  7. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    animal bedding is often certified free of maple, cherry, (and I think oak) because it can be toxic if eaten.

Horses shouldn't even stand on black walnut shavings. or shavings that have even a small percentage of black walnut in them.
  8. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    Wow. I learned something new today. I'm telling my boss I have reached capacity and need to go home and watch the Masters. Thanks Billb
  9. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I think the real danger lies in the potential use of them in the stove afterward.
  10. superhero1219

superhero1219 New Member

Loc:
    Los Angeles
    I read somewhere that if the wood is kiln-dried at high temps (like 380 deg) then all of the aromatic oils that are toxic are burned off and whatever is left over is squeezed out when they're compressed into pellets. If that's the case, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use any pellet that's been dried at high temps... :question:
  11. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    I can't answer your question, but I can tell you my thought process. It is in the best interest of the pellet mills to sell their product to as many people as possible. More sales = more profit. There must be some specific reason why they go out of their way to tell you not to use their product for animals. They wouldn't print that disclaimer, otherwise.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.