Pellets in Southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

www_godzilla

Oct 24, 2008
Portland,Maine
There is alot of pellets around here in the Portland area. Most of which are either the Cornith or Athens pellets. I found a place in Saco,Maine that has Penningtons and LG Granules. He is going to try a new brand today,Eagle pellets. He has never tried them. He will not sell any pellets unless he tries them and likes them. The place is called Pawz N Around. They are on RT 5, just as you go over the Maine Turnpike. Go over the bridge and they are on the left. There is a big white building with dog paw prints. The contact person is Bob 207-229-9444. The prices are $6 a bag or $280 a ton. I'm not advertising. I'm sure people are tired of the crappy pellets around. I know I love the LG's. They burn very very clean and very good heat.

How did you like them?

I got 20 bags this winter from D&J;of NEWP(brown bag with dark red lettering) and didnt care for them. They were dirty and I think the heat was lower.

I just got done putting a ton of New England wood pellets through my enviro Maxx and hate every bag. lots of ash and had to clean the burn pot every other day. Also bought mine at D&J;.

Thanks for the tip of the place in Saco

My pleasure. I'm sitting in front of my Sante Fe now. The LG's a re really good.

hey just a footnote for the pellet burners, i bought the pellet basket, yes i'm almost out of dry wood and i went through two bags, don't get me wrong, house was a nice, comfortable heat, like the bio bricks i burn, and when my 6 year old got off the bus and came through the door, he says to me...WHAT IS THAT SMELL.......candles and popscicles. Personally I think those pellets are rip off, burn up two quick in a wood stove basket at any rate and there is too much loading, not any ash though, so I guess there is a benefit. Anyone wanna buy that basket (laughing).

if you need some bio brick or envi blocks pm me i can help you ... whats the pellets you were burning in the basket how much for the basket???

Just thought I would let people know that Lowes on Brighton Avenue in Portland has Green Team Premium Harwood pellets @ $5.90 a bag. There was about 20 bags left there. THEN at the Home Depot on Clarks Pond Parkway in South Portland has 2 types of pellets. They have Penningtons Hardwood Premium Pellets @ $5.98 a bag. They also have Fireside Ultra Premium pellets $ 5.98 a bag too. They have quite a few tons of both. I have never burned Green Teams or Penningtons before. I have burned Firesides and I love them. I actually bought 4 bags of the Green Team and the Penningtons. I am still new to the pellet stove thing. I am experimenting with different pellets. To see which burns best. Then I will buy a lot of those.

Well I just bought 5 bags of Bayou pellets from the local Agway at 6.50 bag. I thought it was a little steep but what the heck I'll try them. O my god these were the worst yet. So I went with the premise that the stove was probably dirty and could use a good cleaning. so I clean the stove out and the flue and started the stove back up same thing happened the burn pot filled up and the stove shut down in a matter of a couple of hours. Was at lowes to night and bought a couple of bags of green team and going to try them . So far the boreals have been the best. They were the only softwood one to date. I think that my stove only likes softwwod.

They are concerned about the quality of pellets they sell to consumers, yet they sell Pennington's ????????????????

I'm trying Green Team right now. they are a hardwood pellet. I'm not sure if it is the stove or what....but the stove seems to like the hardwood pellets better. I have burned LG Granules(softwood),Fireside Ultras(hardwood) and Green Team(hardwood). I had the Penningtons(hardwood). I returned them just because of what other people are saying about them. I didn't even bother to try them.

i have been burning green teams for 4 yrs now out of lowes in auburn, they are the most consistent of any i have tried.

but last yr in dec i called and was notified that greene team had no more sawdust supplies and were not delivering for a while, wonder if they got back on track...

Ditto on the Green Team... I have been buying them at Lowes and have found them to be consistant.

I haven't had problems with the NEWP pellets, very little ash in our XXV. We've burned about 1.5 tons of NEWP & I've emptied the ash pan twice & it wasn't full either time (just cleaning the stove). I'm burning the Northerns now, so will see how those do. I'm shutting the stove down once/week to clean the burnpot

Ok after having problems with all the pellets I've tried I decided that it couldn't be the pellets but maybe the stove. It seems that I was opening the dampener more and more to keep the different pellets I was trying burning correctly so I decided to clean my stove again. Low and behold I found the problem there was a slight blockage of soot in the thimble piece between the combustion blower and the flue tee. So now I have to start all over again with the different pellets to find what works best.

O'well just a newb on his way to being a pellet pig!

ON Thursday 2/12/09,the Lowe's in Scarborough(by Walmart) is going to get a big shipment of Green Team wood pellets. Just thought I would throw that out there for the people who need pellets in the Portland area. Green Team is a very good wood pellet. I highly recommend them.

O'hara in Biddeford does have northeast pellets. I just picked up 10 bags to try, I'll post my results. There $6.00 a bag and $300 for a ton. The pellets have the pfi logo and look great.

Also, in Sanford lots of Athens Maine Woods for sale, $245 a ton. The dealer gave me a free bag to try with a lab report. They did burn much better then the summer batch I had, but still lots of ash. The lab report states .97% ash. The northeast pellets I just picked up state on the pfi logo .50%, but are $55 more per ton.

fireitup said:
Also, in Sanford lots of Athens Maine Woods for sale, $245 a ton. The dealer gave me a free bag to try with a lab report. They did burn much better then the summer batch I had, but still lots of ash. The lab report states .97% ash. The northeast pellets I just picked up state on the pfi logo .50%, but are $55 more per ton.

I'm in the process of burning until pileup of the latest batch of Athens. I had tried a few bags earlier and they burn much better than the old ones and my top feeder seems to be able to keep up with the ash from these unlike the ones I had before. I have a large ash pan so a bit of ash isn't going to be a real problem as long as the stove can keep it blowing out of the fire pot. It would be nice to cut down on the cleaning interval.

I do hope they get things taken care of. I'd like to buy local when I can.

When I got a few bags of the new Athens to try I also picked up some Green Team at the North Windham Lowes, those were the first pellets I'd seen in store in some time. I was told they had sold a lot of Green Team this past year. I liked them as they burned well.

I went to D& j this weekend and picked up a ton of Energex. Wow what a difference in heat out put. These have been the best yet. I think I'm going to have to hook up a thermostat for the stove now because it's 78* on the first floor and 70* on second floor and the stoves in the basement. Stove is only set at medium low.

More than I cared to. But they were $279 a ton. I was in and out in about 3 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.