Pellets not sliding well in hopper...REVISITED...LOL W/ Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haubera said:
So your hoppers are plain metal? The paint in mine makes it rough. So that's my problem.
Yes, many stoves have hoppers that are bare metal (usually aluminum so they don't rust), but not all, but even some of those don't allow the pellets to slide easily. Our Englanders are painted, so the only fix is to sand it as smooth as you can. It's one of the "to do" things on my list. I'm going to start with 100 grit sandpaper on a wood block.

OK, I'll stop wasting effort on wax paper and such until I sand the hopper smoother. :)

Nope it comes in a spray can like spray paint. But there are two types one that leave a dry hard surface and one that leave a powder finish after being sprayed. Your going to want the type that leaves a dry hard surface I got a can at NAPA for $3.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
Nope it comes in a spray can like spray paint. But there are two types one that leave a dry hard surface and one that leave a powder finish after being sprayed. Your going to want the type that leaves a dry hard surface I got a can at NAPA for $3.

What was the stuff you got at NAPA for 3 bucks? This is what I find online

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_33203_0006382728#

Will this work as well?

From what it says that should work also. The only thing I would worry about is that it helps conduct heat but your hopper shouldn't be getting that hot any ways. Just make sure it drys and doesn't stay wet. This is what I purchased the price is up from when I got it. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=MCR1413_0075098551. There are two types of that the dry and wet. I used the wet on accident and made a mess.

From what it says that should work also. The only thing I would worry about is that it helps conduct heat but your hopper shouldn't be getting that hot any ways. Just make sure it drys and doesn't stay wet. This is what I purchased the price is up from when I got it. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=MCR1413_0075098551. There are two types of that the dry and wet. I used the wet on accident and made a mess.

I will make sure and get the dry of the type you used, as that sounds better suited........

Thanks !!

Geno

I went to get this at my Napa store and they didn't have it but they had something similar. However, it said on the can that it is highly flammable. Does the can you bought say this? I am hesitant to use something in my stove that says highly flammable. Thanks.

Jambruins said:

I went to get this at my Napa store and they didn't have it but they had something similar. However, it said on the can that it is highly flammable. Does the can you bought say this? I am hesitant to use something in my stove that says highly flammable. Thanks.

Most aerosol propellants are highly flammable, which means do not spray around open flames and be certain to spray only in a well ventilated area. That doesn't always mean that what gets left after the product drys is flammable. You do need to pay close attention to what you use and sometimes that means reading all of the fine print.

I bought the NAPA version of the DRY Graphite and put it on a week ago. It says highly flammable too. I hink this has been discussed here?

My experience was that I applied it at the beginning of a complete cleaning that took 2 hours. Cleaned the metal surface in the hopper. Rubbed it into the metal and let the hopper lid stay open during the cleaning: again about 2 hours. No problems at all.

Last night, I forgot to turn down the temp on the stove. Hopper was only about 1/3 last evening. Woke up to the stove in shutdown mode but still a little flame there. The hopper was empty and so were the walls. It worked very well for me!!!!!

I figured it meant highly flammable if you sprayed it around an open flame. I also assumed it would be ok in my hopper once it dried but I figured it was better to check with some of you who have already used it before I found out the hard way. Thanks.

Yup once it dries it is no longer flammable. I sprayed my burn pot with it when it was cooled down and nothing odd happened but after a week of burning the high heat had worn it off.

Joe you want to find spray graphite that when sprayed is wet like spray paint but dries quickly and leaves a slick residue of graphite. It hangs on for a pretty long time. We use it at work on outriggers where an inner square tube slides inside a slightly bigger inside tube and at the farm on equipment. It also works great on mower blades before you put the mower up for the winter.

rain X works great on the satellite dish to keep snow from building up or ice from sticking and blocking the signal. I know some use Pam for this also and I tried it but RainX works much better. I also use RainX on the headlights and Taillights along with the winders so the snow and ice don't build up as much. Nothing better than going out to the truck that is all iced up and the ice almost slides right off when others are scraping and chipping.

I haven't went to the graphite on the stove yet.... but I did clean the hopper with glass cleaner and got a bunch of sticky residue off and waxed it with carnuba wax. I think just actually cleaning the hopper with glass cleaner made the most difference. The graphite would have to be the best as slick as that stuff is.

Status
Not open for further replies.