Pellets wont flow in hopper, Englander 55PDV22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BackDoc

Jan 5, 2018
Maryland
I am starting to regret replacing my wood stove with a pellet stove. I was hoping for an easier method of getting accessory heat during nights and days below 32. I bought a used Englander 55PDV22 and I have had my share of problems. No need to list the hassles that I have resolved but now I am finding that the stove goes out at times and the reason is the pellets dont slide down the hopper as they should. I will have about 20 pounds of pellets in the hopper and a void will form over the auger intake and it goes out. Anyone else have this issue. I have tried several different pellet brands. Thinking of waxing the inside of the hopper. Is this idea as dumb as it sounds to me? Any advice?

Nope, wax paper and rub it down. I have used car wax too both work well. It not just englander my breckwell and quad did it also

Last edited:
THANK YOU for providing this tip; I have run into a section of a pallet (Okanagan Softwood Red Label) that somehow has many bags with a significant amount of sawdust, and I'm guessing there's still moisture in them as well. A 'film' of sawdust is forming on three of four sides of the hopper, and I'm getting the same issue as BacDoc: pellets not sliding down. Despite a complete scrubbing 2 days ago, the film returned quickly. Thinking I need to start screening at least these bad bags, as I haven't seen THIS much sawdust in the many years that I've had a stove.
I'll probably build a little wood screener, and hoping the remaining (5 TN) aren't as bad as this one.
Thanks again for the help; this forum has been a big help recently (stove is new, and a new brand to me- previous exp was with a QF Mt Vernon, which I loved but was too big for current space).