Pennington

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
Bangor Sam's Club has Pennington's in the store this morning, $5.50 a bag.

I agree, waiting for $5 or less, would like less.

I need another ton or so of pellets, but I'm waiting until I really have to get them. The price has to go down soon I would think, especially if people wait on buying them. I paid $292 per ton or something like that for the 2 tons of Corinths I bought, but I only did that because I got the stove and had to get the pellets last minute.

I bought 2 tons of Pennington pellets and 2 tons of tidy timbers. I began burning the Pennington’s first because of my concern with them since soo many people have had problems. Since burning the pellets there have been a lot of fines and longs. Some pellets are as long as 4”. So if you have a picky stove that needs smaller pellets I would advise against getting Pennington. Also just recently when I poured a bag of PENNINGTON’s into the hopper I noticed that there was a piece of wood inside that bag. It was not a long pellet but a 5” piece of wood. I feel that I cannot trust Pennington anymore. Their pellets are so inconsistant. I then called peggy at customer service who did nothing about the problem but advise me to call home depot where I purchased them and have them exchange them out. First thats not home depots problem its Pennington’s. I can see doing that if the bags were ripped but this is a 5” piece of WOOD inside of the bag. Secondly, home depot towmotor does not fit inside of my garage so I have to take out the ton of pellets by hand and load the exchanged pellets back into the garage by hand. Lastly I am not ven sure that they would exchange them or have any pellets left. Thats some good advice PENNINGTON!!! Dish your responsibility to someone else to deal with including your customers. It is not worth the hassel with this company. I will NEVER buy PENNINGTON PELLETS AGAIn!!!
Pennington customer service doesnt care about their customers or their chitty products. Mybe they will start to care when no one buys their crappy pellets. I believe that they dont care this year because of the pellet crunch and the fact that there was a shortage which makes it unfortunate that people have to buy whats out there. But it shows you what type of company Pennington really is. They add insult to injury when they know that their customers have little choice to find other available pellets especially near winter. All I know is that I will never buy from pennington again, period. I wont support those who dont care about their customers and stand by their products which is the least that they can do. It is just amazing how many issues people are having with this company and it is not just isolated incidents it is wide spread and it is long term, not just this year. DONT you remember last years fiasco!!!!

So, are we to assume you're not happy w/ the Penningtons?

UPDATE: pennington seed called me today, and let me know about my claim, they are giving any one with a problem with there product this year 15% of their
purchase price, so for me i’ll be getting a cool $40.00 plus my cost on postage about $ 4.50 so i’m looking at$ 44.50 for the trouble of burning one ton of their product.
also if i didn’t like the other two tons i had ,i could return them to lowes for a full refund i told her it’s just not worth the hassle.

What's the manufacturing date on the bags you are having issues with?

I have two tons of Penningtons and have to mix them with my Pine Points to get them to burn clean. If I burn straight Penningtons I get loads of klinkers and the stove shuts down at night because it fills the burn pot.

Might make a claim myself if we have the same manufacturing dates.

scruffy said:
What's the manufacturing date on the bags you are having issues with?

I have two tons of Penningtons and have to mix them with my Pine Points to get them to burn clean. If I burn straight Penningtons I get loads of klinkers and the stove shuts down at night because it fills the burn pot.

Might make a claim myself if we have the same manufacturing dates.
mine had no date on the bag

firewarrior820 said:
UPDATE: pennington seed called me today, and let me know about my claim, they are giving any one with a problem with there product this year 15% of their
purchase price, so for me i’ll be getting a cool $40.00 plus my cost on postage about $ 4.50 so i’m looking at$ 44.50 for the trouble of burning one ton of their product.
also if i didn’t like the other two tons i had ,i could return them to lowes for a full refund i told her it’s just not worth the hassle.

ok seems like they are being reasonable, guess its not that bad a deal lowers that ton's cost by almost a buck a bag, and they did authorize a return on the rest so seems like a decent deal to me

the pennington pellets do not have a date, just a bar code and madison, ga but i think that is the main plant and not the plant that my specific pellets were manufactured. And I wouldnt count on pennington reimbursing you anything. Their customer service is terrible, peggy is her name and all she does is say uhhhuuu and yawn non-stop. Get some sleep after swinging on the stripper pole all night peg!

My Pennington bags have the bar code on all the bags, bottom rear. I also have on a couple of bags I've used that look like a date stamp. It reads 10/4/08 1Z it is located on the front of the bag near the top. It is printed in a dot matrix type of pattern. I purchased them from Lowe's in the late September or early October.

With all the Pennington issues floating around the forums, I would think they would at least post a response and not allow their company to have a public relations representative that is so non complacent.

I emailed them regarding the rocks i've found in the pellets i purchased this summer @ the Depot. Never got a response of any kind. I'm up to seven rocks now....... one i missed and went through my stove. I found it in my burn pot while cleaning it out. I suggest everyone does a search here for "Pennington pellets" and do plenty of reading BEFORE purchasing Pennington pellets. Why anyone would purchase Pennington pellets now after all the complaints is beyond me. When the public keeps buying a substandard product, there is no reason for them to ever improve the product. How many more people would have been taken for a ride by NEWP,LLC if it weren't for this (and/or other) forums? Use the search function folks !

scruffy said:
My Pennington bags have the bar code on all the bags, bottom rear. I also have on a couple of bags I've used that look like a date stamp. It reads 10/4/08 1Z it is located on the front of the bag near the top. It is printed in a dot matrix type of pattern. I purchased them from Lowe's in the late September or early October.

With all the Pennington issues floating around the forums, I would think they would at least post a response and not allow their company to have a public relations representative that is so non complacent.
they wish that was their only problem.:>)

Status
Not open for further replies.