People want to give me more wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
No shortage of wood here, but a neighbor 1/2 mile away has a one acre lot that the power company just went through and cut a bunch of stuff down. I went and looked today looks to be a fair amount of cherry,locust,hard maple and ash.It will take alot of work to haul it out as access is for chit.Tomorrow I'm going to tackle it and see how much I can haul out,I'll post the pics tomorrow in the PM.All the wood will have to be carried by hand or wheelbarrowed from what I see.

Sounds like a good problem to have. Albeit a little work anyways .. ;-P

Ive been trying to get more wood. I had 2 good sources last Summer. Got all kinds of Wood. But here lately its been quite a dry spell. Hoping it picks back up in the Spring.

I had some Black Walnut trees lined up for tomorrow, but the company didnt cut them down yesterday as planned. They cant/wont do it because of the winds/weather. Hopefully next weekend!!! Its about 15 minutes away from home and the guy moved, but the trees have to come down as part of the sale. They are leaning into the back of the garage.

Looking forward to pics...

A 2-wheeled cart can work nicely for carrying out too.

Is there anyway you can drag logs to a better processing area on the property? If so, that may be the thing to do.....nothing wrong with free wood, even if there's some work involved!

Check out my post with pics of my "Single log skidder" it is perfect for getting large logs to a bucking deck from tight spots. If you can get the quad in there you can get the logs out.

BobUrban said:
Check out my post with pics of my "Single log skidder" it is perfect for getting large logs to a bucking deck from tight spots. If you can get the quad in there you can get the logs out.
Yes your skidder would be perfect!

I've done a lot of that wheel barrowing it out over the years. If I don't have any fence rows or clearing to do at the farm I cut at I have to work on dead or blow downs in the woods. Generally have to wheel barrow out but it is still free just takes a little longer and a little more work. I always think to my self if I can wheel barrow the wood from the pile to the house I can surely wheel barrow from the woods to the truck.

Locust Post said:
I've done a lot of that wheel barrowing it out over the years. If I don't have any fence rows or clearing to do at the farm I cut at I have to work on dead or blow downs in the woods. Generally have to wheel barrow out but it is still free just takes a little longer and a little more work. I always think to my self if I can wheel barrow the wood from the pile to the house I can surely wheel barrow from the woods to the truck.
I get tired of plugging holes in my wheelbarrow tires from all the thorns/sticks I run over in the woods. I have some tires that look like they have warts all over them. Time to upgrade to an airless tire!

Sounds like a good deal. No way to get a truck and trailer back there???

I'd be getting wood myself if my neighbors were trying to give it to me for free!!!

Locust Post said:
When I have to wheelbarrow, I try to get someone to help me. Used a snatch 'em strap and hooked both ends to the axle, forming a loop which you can wrap around your chest/over your shoulder. Then you're pulling the load over obstructions instead of pushing it into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.