Perhaps I don't know better.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
So like everyone else here I have been told not to burn pine or it will cause a chimney fire.

Well after eyeballing a stack of cherry in a yard of a non burner for the past few months I finally see him outside and ask if he wanted the stack removed, well he already promised it to another person but said I could have the tiny group farther away but it is best burned outside in a pit, and I said "heck that's cherry and will be great".

Well after getting it out of my truck and in the driveway, I discovered about 1/4 of the wood is full of termites and at least 2 carpenter ant colonies :-O

Guess I should have skipped that scrounge as a lot of the wood is in contractor bags at the curb for the garbage man.

I did discover that there are at least 4 different sizes of the C ants in the colony not including the queen which I smeared.

Truth be known, none of that would have really bothered me. Punky stuff, outdoor pit. Ant colonies - split them again and there won't be an ant around in a couple of days.

Edit: full disclosure - I have no need to store any wood close to structures until cold weather/burn time. So that stuff is of little concern.

Lot of wood will be like this, if I find clean wood it get milled.

Yea I sure dont care about ants. Would waste some good wood if I did! :)

Ants burn just fine. They also don't move much in the burn season temperatures.

Well I don't mind the Carpenter Ants much either as my 4yo son and I smushed them all, its the termites I care not to see anywhere near my house :-O

ChrisNJ said:
Well I don't mind the Carpenter Ants much either as my 4yo son and I smushed them all, its the termites I care not to see anywhere near my house :-O

If you have mature trees anywhere near your house there is tremites close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.