Permatex Pipe compound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been fitting both galvanized and black pipe for many years. I rarely use anything but Rectorseal no 5 for pipe dope and have never used pipe dope on the faces of a union.

Sawyer said:
heaterman said:
These days with all the stuff coming from Thailand and China, there is definitely some variation. We use the locTite thread cord and a little dab of whatever thread compound we have along. The cord is the real deal. I had learned about using hemp for thread sealing via a couple of German boiler companies and it was the ONLY thing that would seal up the straight cut Euro style threads on some of that equipment.

I avoid teflon tape like the plague for the same reasons Hot Rod described.

This was a timely comment as I was just going to start on the black pipe. I bought the Titebond 55. Does it matter which I put on first, the 55 or the dope?

Thanks!

First the cord then the dope or whatever lube you chose. Technically speaking, the pipe dope just serves to help you tighten the fitting until the tapered threads "mate". By itself, it does not seal the joint. The idea with the cord is that it fills voids and/or gaps in the threads and swells up at it soaks up water thereby sealing the joint.

Thanks Steve and Wally, your advice is always appreciated.

It is a shame that we have to resort to these methods due to poor manufacturing standards. I can make enough mistakes on my own without needing help from others. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.