Replacing oil boiler chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dabbler

Oct 15, 2023
Northeast
I'm having my chimney pipe replaced tomorrow. I wasn't able to afford a professional and an experienced friend is going to do the job. Below are some photos of the current installation, which was done by a professional and I had no problems with it. I'm replacing the pipe because it's rusty. We will use the same configuration.

I'm wondering what things I should be aware of for this job to be done successfully and safely. Any special instructions?

Furnace pipe.jpg P1010509.jpg P1010512.jpg

Last edited:
Follow-up question: can I use 26-gauge flue pipes? My understanding is that 24-gauge is the standard, but no one in my area seems to sell that.

Anyone have stainless? That would be a one n done solution there...and yes, I think 24ga is the requirement, but I bet plenty of 26 has been used.
We have a lil Amish metal shop nearby that sells stainless for about the same price as the cheap black pipe at the hardware store/etc...

Reactions: all night moe
No stainless. I ended up having to buy 26-gauge because none of the big box stores had 24. That tells me that professionals in my area don't use it. I wonder why.

No stainless. I ended up having to buy 26-gauge because none of the big box stores had 24. That tells me that professionals in my area don't use it. I wonder why.
Usually pros don't buy at big box stores.

Reactions: all night moe
Galvanized was the code when i built my system around 2010

Really? I guess I stand corrected then. But still wouldn't use it on mine, quite sure.
I agree with you. Even though I've seen it used with gas and oil applications.
I just don't like heated galvanized metal.