Pets and pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Remember households with pets will need to check and clean the inside of their stoves on a regular basis. We have dogs and they shed. The fur gets sucked into the blowers. The fur can put a strain on the bearings and motors. There are a few threads about squeeling motors and hair in the fans. Just a reminder.

Now clean your stove.

Eric

Already cleaned my stove....
but the pet hair thing is why I chose a dog
with hair instead of fur. She doesn't shed.
Just needs hair cuts every so often.
pileofshitzu.jpg

I can't wait to see the fur that is inside my stove after the season. I have a Shetland Sheepdog and I bet, with having to vacuum every couple of days, that there will be a significant amount of hair wrapped around things. I'll let ya know.

sydney1963 said:
I can't wait to see the fur that is inside my stove after the season. I have a Shetland Sheepdog and I bet, with having to vacuum every couple of days, that there will be a significant amount of hair wrapped around things. I'll let ya know.

I've got a Sheltie too, and really haven't had much of a problem the last 2 years.

I have cats that love to sit in front and on top of my stove to nap and "take their baths there" which causes some fur to fly. I vacuum the fans once a month.
When I first got the pellet stove in 2005 I opened the back for the spring cleaning and was amazed at how much fur, dander and dust had collected in the fins and air intakes after 6 months of operation...live , learn and adjust !

Got too many animals here... 2 dogs and 2 cats.
I check the blowers periodically throughout the season anyway and
so far the pet hair has not made it into the stove yet.

It is surprising tho, considering I vacuum frequently and still end up
picking up "tumbleweeds" from the floors on a daily basis.

ZETA- what a cutie you got there!

tinkabranc said:
Got too many animals here... 2 dogs and 2 cats.
I check the blowers periodically throughout the season anyway and
so far the pet hair has not made it into the stove yet.

It is surprising tho, considering I vacuum frequently and still end up
picking up "tumbleweeds" from the floors on a daily basis.

I have a Chow and five cats, on second season with my XXV and have not seen fur or hair in the fans or stove yet. Must by the way the XXV is made, I was expecting to find a lot in there.

I put some yellow pipe insulation under the intake of my accentra insert to quiet the fan noise. It should also work as an air filter.

After cleaning my stove yesterday, I was surprised at the lack of hair in there. Our old beagle mix loses alot of hair. Thanks for the heads up Eric. Zeta your dog is a cutie. Here is a pic (I hope) of our latest addition. A mini dachshund.

Attachments

• harlie.jpg
    harlie.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 389
schoondog said:
After cleaning my stove yesterday, I was surprised at the lack of hair in there. Our old beagle mix loses alot of hair. Thanks for the heads up Eric. Zeta your dog is a cutie. Here is a pic (I hope) of our latest addition. A mini dachshund.

uhoh , i got one of those. fun little dogs

We have 2 dogs a German Short haired Pointer, which barely sheds, and an Irish Setter, that sheds like crazy! We open up the stove about once every two weeks to get the hair off the fans. Our cats like to hang out in front of the stove and "bathe" as well...we haven't noticed a huge build up of hair, but someone had warned us about this before we put the stove in, and we decided we would be religious about vacuuming it out. So far so good. We're paranoid that the hair will get in there and really screw the fan up. But I think we might be going a bit over board with the cleaning. How often does everyone else do theirs?

Status
Not open for further replies.