1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pex (onyx)????

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by coolidge, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolidge

coolidge Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Has anyone used the Onyx(rubber pex) for a staple up system. I use it for my old house, to go around the floor joist(logs) instead of drilling holes. My water going in is 120 and return water is about 116. I am wondering if the tubing is acting like an insulator and not transfering enough. Of course this is still all unisulated but wanted to make shure before insulating.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WoodNotOil

WoodNotOil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern, Vermont
    I just became aware of this product, but the pictures I saw indicated that staple up is a proper application for this tubing. Effectiveness of heat transfer is dependent on the alum. plates to disperse the heat, the reflective barrier, the approx. 6" air space, and proper insulation. You can't really judge effectiveness until all of those are in place. You can always raise the temp going in as well, if you find it needs more heat. At the low pressures heating systems run at, pex can handle temps up near 200* fine (not that most run their systems that high). Check out the temp ratings for the rubber tubing though to be sure it can handle it. As long as you follow all the specs for plates, spacing, etc. then I think it will work just as planned. However, I have not actually used this product before. It looks way easier to install than the 1/2" pex I used in my staple up! Good luck!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.