PF100 Feed Light Won't Come On Or Feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterX3

Dec 13, 2016
Elk Mound WI
I purchased a house with a PF100 in it. It took a while for me to understand how to work the furnace - it did not have a wall thermostat. We started using it in service mode and manually lighting it. This worked but not everytime. Shortly after I tried automatic light, and that worked much better. I had to have the setting dial on 5 for it to push heat out (I guess that is by design in service mode). Then I added the wall thermostat, started running in automatic mode with automatic light. This worked for about a week. Now the problem begins...

Late last sunday, the hopper was throwing out smoke, a ton of smoke. It appeared that the pellets were smoldering at the bottom of the hopper. I emptied the hopper to find black burned pellets. Once everything cooled down, I cleaned the furnace as best I could. Now, when I turn it back on, even in test mode (for feeder), the feed light won;t come on and it work spin the auger for pellets. I'm not sure what to do from here. I read about the pressure switch and I blew into the tube to make it click, but nothing happened. I also tried sucking air from it to make the switch go the other way. This also did nothing. The tube is clear though. All doors were shut. Because the hopper had smoke coming out of it, does that mean the gasket is bad? Is that related to the feed light not coming on? Any help is appreciated.

Need to check all your gaskets ... dollar bill test. Dollar or similar paper closed in the door jamb. If it can be pulled out ... time to change gaskets.
Has the "muffler" in the hopper been cleaned? Cleaned ESP? Almost sounds like slide plate is gummed up ... when was the last time feeder body was cleaned? Most times stove/furnace errors are due to cleaning.
Troubleshooting on page 34 if you don't have the manual
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/PF100.pdf

Need to check all your gaskets ... dollar bill test. Dollar or similar paper closed in the door jamb. If it can be pulled out ... time to change gaskets.
Has the "muffler" in the hopper been cleaned? Cleaned ESP? Almost sounds like slide plate is gummed up ... when was the last time feeder body was cleaned? Most times stove/furnace errors are due to cleaning.
Troubleshooting on page 34 if you don't have the manual
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/PF100.pdf
I will try that. Where is the muffler? I don't see anything other than the low fuel sensor.

Muffler is located in the hopper and appears to be sensor of hopper pressure.

I checked the lights on the panel and both the feeder motor and ignitor status lights don't come on. Does that mean I don't have power to those pieces? How do I check and fix it? When we had the smoke problem the stove did pop the breaker a few times. Any ideas?

Usually you can set up an electric cord with the appropriate spade connectors to test the components directly to an outlet. Unplug when working in the cabinet. Both of those components are connected to the vac. switch. and will not function if vac. switch is not satisfied. Why I asked about door gaskets and muffler. If door/hopper gaskets need to be changed, could explain why you were getting smoke issues. Double check all spade connectors for loose connections or scorched wires. page 36 of manual has wiring diagram.

Any blink codes with these issues? Is there a Harman dealer close? Might want to get a tech out...

No blink codes. I'm trying to find someone close, but haven't made too many calls yet. Is it possible there is a fuse bad somewhere? Is the only fuse on the board? I will double check all connections tonight. I appreciate your responses. Also, I'll check gaskets tonight.

Only fuse that I could find was on the esp control board ... 6 amp.

Page 22, if they are not lighting up, they are not getting power. But whether that is due to vac switch not being satisfied, not sure. Could try to jumper around the vac. switch to test but that is only to test as it is a safety feature...do not run it that way. Unplug before working in the cabinet.

I found some shorted out wires and replaced them. It was the ones from feeder to vac switch. Still didn't work. I'm guessing vac switch. How do I jumper around it to test?

Status
Not open for further replies.