Piazzetta and douglas fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jughead

Mar 3, 2016
gloucester
Hello, all. I'm new to this forum and also new to the pellet stove world. I have a Piazzetta Sabrina, new this fall. I scrapped the 1977 vermont castings Vigilant and don't miss the trips to the wood pile at all. My question is about pellet brands. I started with Oki fir and they kick butt. The ash in the pan is minimal and I clean the burn pot every 3 or 4 days. If I go any longer between cleanings it might fail to fire on it's timer in the a.m. No complaints.....
I recently started burning Blazer DF and I'm noticing black soot/ash on sides of stove. The Oki's left only grey ash. I don't see any obvious difference in the burn and the heat output seems on par with the Oki's. Any opinions on what the difference in these two brands is? Thanks, Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, all. I'm new to this forum and also new to the pellet stove world. I have a Piazzetta Sabrina, new this fall. I scrapped the 1977 vermont castings Vigilant and don't miss the trips to the wood pile at all. My question is about pellet brands. I started with Oki fir and they kick butt. The ash in the pan is minimal and I clean the burn pot every 3 or 4 days. If I go any longer between cleanings it might fail to fire on it's timer in the a.m. No complaints.....
I recently started burning Blazer DF and I'm noticing black soot/ash on sides of stove. The Oki's left only grey ash. I don't see any obvious difference in the burn and the heat output seems on par with the Oki's. Any opinions on what the difference in these two brands is? Thanks, Brian.
obviously they are different firs or from different growing areas.... I wouldn't be concerned....

I dont know nothing about the brand you are using, I'm using CUBEX. One thing you have to know after burning 55 to 75 bags of 40 pound you will need to clean out your chimney and complet stove air path, or els you will get that black soot on your door glass and everywhere. may I suggest that you read https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/piazzetta-pellets-stove-a-to-z-recommendations.147362/ if you have any problem or question on your stove just let me know

Regards
Pascal Maertens

Reactions: rich2500
I burned 3 tons of Blazers last year, and they needed less air than my other pellets. Very little grey ash. Like you, I cleaned twice a week. If you get a little black coating on the sides, that's usually fine, but you may want to adjust your air, maybe a little higher. But, if it's only a dusting of black on the sides, I wouldn't be bothered, if the ash amounts in the pan are grey and not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.