Piazzetta Sveva Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNW RN

Dec 14, 2021
Oregon
4th season with the Sveva and having a horrible time with it. Burning very dirty, getting lazy flame, and the burn pot collects a ton of dark ash, not many clinkers. The glass gets dirty fast.

I swept the pipe and got quite a bit of soot. Vacuumed out smoke chamber (more on that in a moment). And fired it up. Flame looked better, but my Pa values are low. I ran it at P5 for a bit and Pa was in low 70 range, then turned temp down so stove would run at P1, and Pa dropped to 30’s. The stove emitted a strange smell, sort of like a hair dryer, so I shut it down. FULL DISCLOSURE: got the cheapest micromanometer I could abs am using some black auto tubing, not silicone. And this is my first experience using a micro manometer.

Regarding the smoke chamber: the screw would not budge and I had to use some strong penetrating oil to get it out, abs the threads on the stove are damaged, so I can’t get a replacement screw in. I put the smoke chamber lid on there, and a smaller screw to hold in place, but I can’t screw the lid down. The stove was burning poorly before this and I haven’t noticed any difference since.

Appreciate any insight. I bought this stove not knowing how delicate the are or that nobody around here knows a thing about them! We brought somebody out for a deep clean last year who claimed to know piazzetta, and clearly he did not.

Absolutely love it when it’s burning clean and am getting downright frustrated with it now.

I don't know anything about your stove model except a quick Google search shows images of a really nice looking stove.

Generally dirty glass, lots of ash, poor flame, could have several causes. Check the draft of the exhaust fan. Check that the exhaust path is not blocked or performing poorly. Check your gaskets to make sure they are sealing tight - do the dollar bill test (look is up).

Finally, make sure you are burning quality pellets. Maybe try a few bags of a different brand.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the dollar bill test, will do.

Don’t know if this help, but the stove fires up perfect, great flame, like a jet. I have it set at P3, and after a couple of hours the flame gets lazy. Thought on maybe this is because burn pot is getting too filled with ash?

I am going to try another brand of pellets as well.

Thanks for the info on the dollar bill test, will do.

Don’t know if this help, but the stove fires up perfect, great flame, like a jet. I have it set at P3, and after a couple of hours the flame gets lazy. Thought on maybe this is because burn pot is getting too filled with ash?

I am going to try another brand of pellets as well.
The stove passed the dollar bill test.

Switched pellets, seems to be the answer. For those in Oregon, I tried packsaddle pellets and they made the difference.

4th season with the Sveva and having a horrible time with it. Burning very dirty, getting lazy flame, and the burn pot collects a ton of dark ash, not many clinkers. The glass gets dirty fast.

I swept the pipe and got quite a bit of soot. Vacuumed out smoke chamber (more on that in a moment). And fired it up. Flame looked better, but my Pa values are low. I ran it at P5 for a bit and Pa was in low 70 range, then turned temp down so stove would run at P1, and Pa dropped to 30’s. The stove emitted a strange smell, sort of like a hair dryer, so I shut it down. FULL DISCLOSURE: got the cheapest micromanometer I could abs am using some black auto tubing, not silicone. And this is my first experience using a micro manometer.

Regarding the smoke chamber: the screw would not budge and I had to use some strong penetrating oil to get it out, abs the threads on the stove are damaged, so I can’t get a replacement screw in. I put the smoke chamber lid on there, and a smaller screw to hold in place, but I can’t screw the lid down. The stove was burning poorly before this and I haven’t noticed any difference since.

Appreciate any insight. I bought this stove not knowing how delicate the are or that nobody around here knows a thing about them! We brought somebody out for a deep clean last year who claimed to know piazzetta, and clearly he did not.

Absolutely love it when it’s burning clean and am getting downright frustrated with it now.
please reply to [email protected] you need to say that you are from Hearth .com forum