Picked up my Englander SSW02 (Big madison)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chas0218
Your signature states the stove is 2.6 CU FT DO you have the smaller version ?
I was under the impression it was 3.0 CU FT I cant find it listed on the specs sheet. But englander replied to a that question and said it was 3.2 Cu Ft.

Last edited:
Chaos 300-450 stovetop if being measured 4-6" from the stove collar is to cool IMO. Does the manual for this stove mention any temps or a overfire temp?

Also the sooner you can close the door, the quicker temps will rise.

From the manual:

England’s Stove Works, Inc. always recommends the use of a magnetic stove thermometer,so that the temperature of the unit can be monitored. When using a magnetic stove thermometer, locate the thermometer above the door on either the left or right side of the stove and use the following temperatures as rough guidelines to determine the burn rate and heat output level of the stove:

Normal wood stove operation should occur between 350°F (177°C) and 550°F (288°C), with 350°F (177°C) to 450°F (232°C) being a low to medium heat output level and 450°F (232°C) to 550°F (288°C) being a medium to high heat output level. Operating the stove at 600°F (316°C) would be considered the maximum continuous operating temperature permissible and unit damage may result from operating at that high of a burn rate for extended time periods. Allowing the unit to reach 650°F (343°C) or higher is defined as over‐firing and will result in unit damage.

Reactions: Squisher
Good info thanks. Above the door left or right is going to be a bit cooler than the 4-6"s away from the flue collar which is what is commonly discussed here. But even by the manual, reading in that position 300 is to low.

Burning cool creates more unburnt exhaust, weak draft and low exhaust temps. Which = creosote accumulating in the pipe instead of exiting the cap.

As with any new setup just keep an eye on things for the first bit of burning. The chimney doesn't lie. I remember when I put my insert in upstairs I plugged up my chimney in no time flat just from running consistently a bit to cool.

From the manual:

England’s Stove Works, Inc. always recommends the use of a magnetic stove thermometer,so that the temperature of the unit can be monitored. When using a magnetic stove thermometer, locate the thermometer above the door on either the left or right side of the stove and use the following temperatures as rough guidelines to determine the burn rate and heat output level of the stove:

e.
Iv found the hottest part of the stove is in the center on the riser ,which is where i keep my thermometer. With a full load at low air it cruises at 600. If i move it to either side or towards the front above the door it goes down so probably mid 500s . Stove burns very clean at this temp. Note that those magnetic gauges can be off as much as 100 degrees. Check it with a handheld laser thermo gauge. amazon has a decent one for $10

Reactions: Squisher
Chas0218
Your signature states the stove is 2.6 CU FT DO you have the smaller version ?
I was under the impression it was 3.0 CU FT I cant find it listed on the specs sheet. But englander replied to a that question and said it was 3.2 Cu Ft.
I'll have to look but I just used what I calculated. When englander calculates the cu.ft. they do it without the fire bricks I think. Mine is the 2400 sq.ft. 50ssw02.
I close it all the way. Can hold 600 stove top temps with all the way closed no reason to torch through the wood any faster. Its a little slow getting started on a cold chimney but once its warmed up it burns super clean. Keeps the door glass way cleaner than my NC-30 which i have to clean daily.
Ok same here, I wasn't sure because the the only time I got near 500 was with it open about half way.

Tonight's low is low teens so we will see how the stove really heats. I managed to get most of the exterior walls covered in drywall so I'm hoping it will help seal any little leaks I missed. I do need to go back and foam the outlets a little better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No I'm measuring about 3" in from the front and 3" in from the left edge. Right now she is running about 400° fully closed and 3 hours into the reload.

These pictures look exactly like my stove!!!! About the same amount of bow on the door and the stove.
Yes, I've been pretty sure it is the same issue and maybe even the same production run.

These pictures look exactly like my stove!!!! About the same amount of bow on the door and the stove.
Yeah i guess the older models that were sold to lowes had this issue. My replacement didnt have the issue. I should check my door when i get home to see. I know i checked it when they replaced itbut with all the heat cycles it could be warping.