1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pickin' on Children: Slipped in a couple Elm rounds ; )

Post in 'The Gear' started by zzr7ky, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

Hi -

Had a nice score working with a profesional climber this past weekend. We dropped an old dead Elm. Since there was plenty of Ash and Maple I loaded only those Elm rounds that didn't need to be split...

However I did throw a couple 8-10" round in the trailer... My son had several good cracks going; but he finally carried the round inside the house for me to inspect "Hey - what IS this stuff!?!?"

It does pay to know what the various species look like ; )

Sure like the way the Elm burns but it's not for casual splitting with a maul.

ATB,
    Mike P

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lignums

Lignums New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati
    Maybe that could some form of punishment other than grounding, sit back with a beer, and watch them proving themselves to be like Sisyphus on the Elm. Kind of a cruel and unusual punishment, but might prove funny from your end...
  3. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Yup, that's elm, cracks nicely, but won't let go... Only thing I've ever found to work reliably is to use a wedge (or more like a bunch of them...) to drive all the way through... It really stinks when you have more thickness in stacked wedges than the original round, and it STILL won't let go...

Gooserider
  4. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    I think elm is a good candidate for a splitter with a sharper edge, as opposed to a maul. Something that can cut through the fibers. Not a whole lot of elm around here, but I need to find me some so I can compare my newish monster maul with my light super splitter. Both have more of an edge than a maul.
  5. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Elm is just another reason to love my hydraulic splitter!
  6. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    Just last year my 13 yr old 135 pound boy was splitting some good old ash rounds like a pro and his big brother (18 yr old with and attitude) told him to step aside and let him show how its done. Soo, the 13 yr old picked out a nice clean looking piece of elm for his big bro to take a few swings at. (that young boy knows his wood). Well that sure put a damper on things. I wish I had that one on video. You NEVER forget that first experience with that snarly elm.
    Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.