Small oak score(nope wood doesn't season well in rounds)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
They don't get much easier than this one. One of the guys I work with was talking about having some oaks trimmed and of course I asked him what he did with the wood. He said the crew chipped everything but he had the wood(oak) from a tree he had cut three years ago that his wife wanted gone. Saturday I stopped by to get rid of the eye sore that was stacked along the fence at the back of their yard. ;) It looks like it'll end up right around a 1/3 cord or so.

Just for kicks I checked a couple splits with the moisture meter. Everything was in the high 30's-low 40's. I've never checked 3 year old rounds before but I wasn't at all surprised by the readings. Sure it has less moisture than when it came off the stump but not nearly good enough to perform well in a modern stove.

This wasn't a big score but one of the other guys at work heard us talking which led to another opportunity. He also works on a horse farm that needs some standing dead/down ash cleaned out of one of the pastures so that should end up being some good trailer loads. Only downside is it will be a 50 mile round trip and it looks like some of the work will be tough but I can haul nearly two cords a load so it'll still be worth it.

Here are a couple pictures of the small score since I know the forum rules. :)
View attachment 67422View attachment 67422

Attachments

• Split.jpg
    Split.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 160
  • Rounds.jpg
    Rounds.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
One man's "eye sore" is another's gold. Good oak score :)

50 miles for 2 cords. Good price even at 10 MPG. :)
We gotta have pics of a 2 cord load.
Definitely a full days work to get that much downed, bucked, loaded & home.
Have fun.

Nice couple of scores!

One man's "eye sore" is another's gold. Good oak score :)

50 miles for 2 cords. Good price even at 10 MPG. :)
We gotta have pics of a 2 cord load.
Definitely a full days work to get that much downed, bucked, loaded & home.
Have fun.

I can haul nearly two cords, the question will be if I can process two cords in a day. ;) I may be able to use one of their tractors with a bucket so if that's the case I may have a shot. I'm usually done after a cord but some wood is down already so that may help my cause.

I can haul nearly two cords, the question will be if I can process two cords in a day. ;) I may be able to use one of their tractors with a bucket so if that's the case I may have a shot. I'm usually done after a cord but some wood is down already so that may help my cause.

Sounds like a pretty big goal. Even 1 cord a day is a good days work.
A steady safe pace will get lots of work done. What gets done in a day is OK.
What don't get done will be there tomorrow. It's not a must win race :)
Go over one day & do what can be done, get organized & "make it fun & enjoyablbe ." Then go another day to finish & load up.

I've pushed to hard & spent a week healing up. (Thought I was younger than I was. Now healing up takes longer than the work. LOL)

Ibuprofen the night before & that morning. "Better work thru chemistry" ;)

If you could load with the tractor and cut in sawlog length rather than firewood length that would cut down on the time needed at the spot of the tree. Good for you for finding this wood.

btw, I was back in the woods yesterday in one spot and there are a few soft maple down that would make some really nice wood if you need it. If you like, I might sometime this summer drag them out into the open and even limb them so if you want...

If you could load with the tractor and cut in sawlog length rather than firewood length that would cut down on the time needed at the spot of the tree. Good for you for finding this wood.

btw, I was back in the woods yesterday in one spot and there are a few soft maple down that would make some really nice wood if you need it. If you like, I might sometime this summer drag them out into the open and even limb them so if you want...

I may go cut in the morning depending on if I want to deal with the heat or not. I'm not sure if they'll let me use the tractor yet but that would make life super easy! They want the dead wood to quit falling on their fences so they may let me use it. ;)

If you get bored at some point and want to drag some trees out have at it but please don't feel it necessary.

That was very nice of you to remove that eyesore!

I may go cut in the morning depending on if I want to deal with the heat or not. I'm not sure if they'll let me use the tractor yet but that would make life super easy! They want the dead wood to quit falling on their fences so they may let me use it. ;)

If you get bored at some point and want to drag some trees out have at it but please don't feel it necessary.

I rarely get bored. The last time I recall being bored was at a family Christmas gathering but that was probably 40 years ago...

Just curious.....How big were the rounds?? 4-6 inches or larger?....Thanks

The smaller rounds were in the 4-6 inch range, the rounds that came from the base of the tree were around 16 inches.

Hey rdust, I can fell & buck 2 cord in 4-5 hrs if the drops don't get too technical. If I bring my "master limber", we could have you loaded up in no time if you want a hand, I'd be glad to help. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.